|A Starwarz.com site|
The Adventures of The Starkiller: Episode One THE STAR WARS by George Lucas LUCASFILM LIMITED January 28, 1975 "...And in the time of greatest despair there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as: THE SON OF THE SUNS."
Journal of the Whills, 3:127 FADE IN: 1. SPACE A vast sea of stars is broken as the warm, amber surface of the planet, UTAPAU, emerges from a total eclipse. Five small moons slowly drift into view from the far side of the planet. The MAIN TITLE is followed by a ROLL-UP: The REPUBLIC GALACTICA is dead. Ruthless trader barons, driven by greed and the lust for power, have replaced enlightenment with oppression, and "rule by the people" with the FIRST GALACTIC EMPIRE. Until the tragic Holy Rebellion of "06", the respected JEDI BENDU OF ASHLA were the most powerful warriors in the Universe. For a hundred thousand years, generations of Jedi Bendu knights learned the ways of the mysterious FORCE OF OTHERS, and acted as the guardians of peace and justice in the REPUBLIC. Now these legendary warriors are all but extinct. One by one they have been hunted down and destroyed by a ferocious rival sect of mercenary warriors: THE BLACK KNIGHTS OF THE SITH. It is a period of civil wars. The EMPIRE is crumbling into lawless barbarism throughout the million worlds of the galaxy. From the celestial equator to the farthest reaches of the GREAT RIFT, seventy small solar systems have united in a common war against the tyranny of the Empire. Under the command of a mighty Jedi warrior known as THE STARKILLER, the REBEL ALLIANCE has won a crushing victory over the deadly Imperial Star Fleet. The Empire knows that one more such defeat will bring a thousand more solar systems into the rebellion, and Imperial control of the Outlands could be lost forever... A tiny silver space craft races from behind one of the lifeless Utapau moons. The small rebel spacefighter is being chased by four giant Imperial star destroyers. Hundreds of deadly laser bolts streak from the Imperial warships as they dive on the smaller craft. Every few moments, the little rebel ship returns the fire, until one of the Imperial battlewagons explodes, causing it to fall out of formation. The three remaining star destroyers continue the pursuit 2. INT. REBEL SPACEFIGHTER - LASER GUN TURRETThe two elaborate laser gun turrets belch a smoky exhaust as the gun crews, wearing heat-protective suits, goggles and breath masks, cheer and congratulate each other on the direct hit. The gunnery CHIEF finishes speaking into his helmet "com-link", and yells to the crew. CHIEF I don't know what you boys are so cheery about; there are still three more out there. The crews snap-to, and turn back to their giant guns. Several stubby, three-legged ROBOTS scurry to and fro, bringing equipment, and repairing damage to sections of the turrets.
3. INT. REBEL SPACEFIGHTER - MAIN PASSAGEWAY The chaos of battle echoes through the narrow, main passageway of the starfighter. An explosion rocks the ship, and two construction robots, ARTOO DETOO (R2-D2) and SEE THREEPIO (C-3PO) struggle to make their way through the shaking, bouncing passageway. Both robots are old and battered. Artoo is a short (36 inches), claw-armed, tri-ped. His face is a mass of computer lights, surrounding a radar eye. Threepio, on the other hand, is a tall, slender robot of human proportions. He has a gleaming bronze-like metallic surface of an "Art Deco" design. THREEPIO Artoo, my friend, this is madness! If this keeps up, we're going to be destroyed. I'm afraid I'm still not accustomed to space travel... What are we to do? The little dwarf robot makes a series of electronic sounds that only a robot could understand. THREEPIO (CONT'D) Relax?!?...What do you mean we're in no immediate danger??! You're faulty, this is madness! Artoo gives his tall companion a sheepish computer blink and starts off down the hallway. . THREEPIO (CONT'D) Artoo Detoo, wait! Wait a minute. Threepio climbs through a hatch and starts after Artoo. 4. EXT. SPACE BATTLEOne of the giant Imperial Star destroyers breaks formation and surges ahead of the others, closing on the tiny rebel space craft. The main battery of laser cannons on the huge Imperial warship directs an overwhelming concentration or laser fire at the main solar fin on the rebel ship. Finally it disintegrates, creating a spectacular heavenly display. 5. INT. REBEL SPACEFIGHTER - POWER SECTION A sudden pressure change sucks equipment and debris through the power section of the spacefighter. Alarms are sounding everywhere. The spaceship shudders under the impact of the Imperial barrage. Artoo and Threepio are blown, slipping and sliding across the hallway floor into a stack of freight canisters. The lanky Threepio becomes lodged under a computer console. THREEPIOI'm dead!...I told you this would happen. Artoo, I can't move. Little Artoo waddles over to his trapped companion. He clears away several mangled canisters and climbs under the sparking and smoking computer. He is chattering away in an elaborate combination of whistles, beeps and clicks. THREEPIO (CONT'D) Oh my, I think something is melting. Artoo Detoo, this is all your fault...I should have known better than to listen to a half-pint thermo-astronic capulary dehousing - assister. You're truly faulty. Artoo counters with a rather angry rebuttal as he struggles to pull the larger robot free from the small leg space under the computer console. Two MEN hurriedly enter the power station and begin checking the damage. The robots can only see the humans' legs as they pass to and fro in front of the desk-like console; but they recognize the voice of their captain: DEAK STARKILLER. THREEPIO (CONT'D) Shhh, it's the captain... The captain's FIRST OFFICER pops his head under the console and sees Artoo straining to free Threepio. The little robot stops. OFFICERWell, Hello! Are you boys all right? THREEPIOYes sir, I'll be out in a minute. No damage that I can tell. Sorry to be of trouble, sir... OFFICERAs you were. Artoo goes back to his pulling and pushing as the officer again becomes a pair of legs, and is joined by the sturdier legs of Captain Starkiller. OFFICER (CONT'D) There's a C-3 unit jammed under the console, but no damage, sir. Artoo uses one of his claw arms to cut away a small metal beam bent around Threepio's shoulder. DEAKThe solar activators are burned out. The shields are down. They'll be boarding in no time. There is a Sith knight among them. I can feel his para-force. Hurry, secure your assault positions. The BOGAN force is strong with the enemy. OFFICERYes sir, the men are ready. The officer bows low and hurries out of the smoldering chamber. Artoo stops his work, and the robots quietly watch Deak's legs as he paces the room. He stands for a few moments in meditation. The two mechanical men suddenly feel as if they are intruding, and every little creak and noise becomes an embarrassment. A VOICE from another part of the ship yells out to the captain, and he rushes out of the room. Threepio breathes a sigh of relief. THREEPIOI think there will be no escape for the captain this time... 6. EXT. REBEL SPACEFIGHTER The smoldering silver rebel craft is quickly surrounded by the three giant Imperial warships. One of the huge star destroyers moves into orbit just above the helpless rebel spacefighter. 7. INT. IMPERIAL STAR DESTROYER - COCKPIT An awesome array of lighted panels and computer monitors are reflected in the polished black helmets of six Imperial master-pilots. A fifth-ranked General of the Fleet sits in a rotating chair suspended from the cabin ceiling, watching the chief pilot maneuver the huge warship above the tiny rebel spacefighter. CHIEF PILOTThat's as close as I dare take her. CAPTAIN (into intercom) We are in position...stand by. Remember, Lord Vader wants as many of them taken alive as is possible. There will be no slaughter. 8. EXT. IMPERIAL STAR DESTROYER - UNDERBELLY The huge gray underbelly of the Imperial warship hovers less than twenty feet above the rebel spacefighter. A small hatch near one of the complex antenna groupings silently slides open. With fascist precision, ten stormtroopers wearing ominous armored spacesuits drop onto the top of the disabled rebel craft. A burly sergeant aims his powerful laser pistol at the silver hull. 9. INT. REBEL STAR FIGHTER - HALLWAY A tremendous blast opens up a hole six feet wide in the side of the main passageway, sucking equipment and debris into the vacuum of space. Three fearsome stormtroopers armed with chrome multi-laser rifles make their way through the smoking debris into the padded hallway. The SERGEANT and four more armored troopers quickly follow. SERGEANTUse your blades! There's too much risk of blaster ricochet in these cramped quarters. The troops sling the rifles over their shoulders and take a small baton from their belts, which instantly ignites into a long glowing laser sword. At the far end of the passageway, a door swings wide revealing a rebel warrior wearing a breath mask and dressed in the distinctive uniform of an AQUILLIAN RANGER. A long, deadly laser sword glows in his right hand, while several chrome ping-pong sized balls magically appear in his left. Tiny antenna project from the chrome balls, and before the stormtroopers can raise their weapons, the balls fly out of the ranger's hand. One of the balls stops in the middle of the troops and explodes. Three other balls shoot through the hole ripped in the side of the ship. 10. EXT. IMPERIAL STAR DESTROYER - UNDERBELLY Six armored stormtroopers are assembled on the sleek silver hull of the rebel spacefighter. The three chrome balls fly out of the rebel craft just as several more troops drop from the hatch of the Imperial star destroyer. One or the seeker bombs explodes among the assembled troops, flinging most of them into the vastness of space. The two remaining bombs rocket toward the open hatch of the Imperial warship. One of the surviving stormtroopers, clinging to the rebel craft, yells into his helmet intercom as he aims a laser pistol at the tiny chrome projectiles. TROOPERSeekers! Seekers! Close the hatches!! A blast from the laser pistol hits one of the balls, and it explodes harmlessly outside the star destroyer. The second seeker bomb races into the star destroyer, just as the hatch slides closed. A muffled explosion is heard inside the huge spacecraft. 11. INT. REBEL SPACEFIGHTER - HALLWAY The Aquillian ranger charges what's left of the stormtroopers. He swings his glowing laser sword high over his head; but before he can bring the deadly blade down on a victim, four more troops enter the ship and assail the ranger. He. puts up a good fight, but soon falls under the superior odds. A half dozen more armored stormtroopers enter the damaged ship and cautiously make their way down the narrow hallway. 12. INT. REBEL SPACEFIGHTER - COCKPIT Smoke fills the crowded cockpit of the rebel starship. The pilot struggles to remove a wounded comrade as an exhausted Aquillian RANGER enters and bows before Deak Starkiller. The young captain's face is covered by a small, ornate face mask, but he appears to be about twenty-five years old. He is wearing the loose-fitting robes of a Jedi knight. RANGER The Bogan force is too strong upon us. Our spirit is broken. DEAKYou must rally the men, fight off your despair. The force of others is still with us... RANGERCliegg is dead. They're blasting the lifepods before we can clear the ship. We're trapped... DEAKThen we must make this treachery costly for them. Return to your station. The ranger bows low before the Jedi starcaptain, and rushes out of the cockpit. The pilot has returned to his seat in front of the ship's main control board. DEAK (CONT'D) What's the power now? PILOT (TYREE)It's up to five point nine; but we'll need a lot more to ignite the engines...There just isn't enough time... DEAKKeep at it. I'm going aft. PILOT (TYREE)But what about your father. He must have the KIBER Crystal if Ogana Major is to survive. He won't be able to hold out against the Imperial siege much longer. The risk was too great. We'll never be able to make contact with Luke now. We've lost everything. We should never... DEAKYou're feeling the Bogan's despair. Be strong, Tyree, drive it from your thoughts. Luke is father's only hope...maybe there is still a slim chance we might salvage things. He moves to the computer bank, and speaks into the intercom. DEAK (CONT'D) All R-2 units stand by for new prime directive programming... He turns back to the pilot for a moment. DEAK (CONT'D) What's the R-2 scramble code? Pilot (TYREE)"Tan-takk RS-411". Do you think one of them might get through? DEAK I'm afraid the chances of an R-2 unit finding Luke down there are much better than Luke's chances of getting back to father...R-2 units compute as follows: Scramble code, tan-takk RS-411. Prime directive - contact code "Angel blue". Seek OWEN LARS at or near position: 321-DC-28. Relay the following transcription. 13. INT. REBEL SPACEFIGHTER - MAIN HALLWAY Little Artoo stands ridged in the middle of the smoke-filled passageway. Threepio runs awkwardly toward the tiny robot from a large hatchway at one end of the corridor. Artoo's computer face blinks wildly. THREEPIOWe're cut off. They're coming from that direction. I heard them. Come on, we'll have to go back the way we came. Artoo lets out a long musical whistle, but doesn't move. THREEPIO (CONT'D) Wait!?? They'll be here in moments! I have no intention of getting sent to the spice mines of KESSAL, or smashed into... what?! A new prime directive!??! Oh no! Not at a time like this! How much longer? The muted sounds of grinding and crushing get louder until a dozen Imperial stormtroopers, wearing spooky-looking armor, enter the passageway. They arrange themselves geometrically, their movements synchronized, as they move stealthily through the unusually wide corridor. Threepio grabs his little partner and struggles to drag him into the shadows of an emergency ventilator system. Hard and weary, the troops advance -- their glowing laser swords held at ready. Suddenly, directly in back of the stormtroopers, about ten feet away, the imposing young Jedi, Deak Starkiller, steps from behind the open hatch. His chrome laser pistol still rests in its holster; but his laser sword sparks to life with a sharp hum. One of the troopers senses his presence and turns freezing momentarily. The rest of the troops turn a second later, almost as a reflex action. A slow grim smile creeps across Deak's face, as the troops realize they are outmatched. TROOPER He's a Jedi. Use your blasters! Six troopers who are carrying their chrome laser rifles at the ready start to step forward and raise their weapons. Deak is quicker. In one amazing movement, he spins around, replacing his laser sword to his belt, and draws his deadly laser pistol, blasting out four shots that rip through the soldiers. In a few moments, the entire passageway blazes with laser fire. Laser bolts ricochet in wild random patterns, creating small explosions and finally a small hole in the wall, which sucks debris and stormtroopers into space, until finally it is plugged by a large supply canister. Artoo and Threepio are plummeted by loose equipment and debris. Threepio attempts to cover his head. Artoo pulls a grate off the vent system and starts to enter the dark shaft. Threepio clings to a side rail for dear life as debris and laser bolts fly past him. Artoo beeps to his terrified companion
. THREEPIO No more adventures! I'm not going in there. No! Never! Artoo disappears down the ominous shaft. He leaves his friend with a few parting whistles. THREEPIO (CONT'D) Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease! I simply think you are going the wrong way. Threepio peers into the gloom of the vent shaft. THREEPIO (CONT'D) Hello?!? Artoo?...
14. INT. REBEL SPACEFIGHTER - COCKPIT CORRIDOR Stormtroopers scatter and run down an adjoining passageway; others duck behind storage lockers. Multiple laser fire rips through several stormtroopers who scream and stagger from the smoke, holding shattered arms and faces. Deak and two Aquillian rangers back into a sealed corridor at the far end of the passageway. Deak's gun jams, and the two rangers are cut down behind him. The young Jedi ignites his glowing red laser sword and begins swinging. Stormtroopers are cut down right and left, until they flee the corridor in panic, firing wildly as they stumble over canisters to escape. Suddenly several of the panic-stricken troopers who had fled down a sub-hallway are back into the cockpit area, more afraid of what's down the sub-hallway than the deadly Jedi's blade. Troopers still fleeing the area crash into those returning. TROOPER The Sith Knight...Lord Vader is coming. Go back. Go back! A new courage, or greater fear, seizes the troops and they turn on Deak again and renew the attack. The troops scramble away from the sub-hallway entrance, as something unspeakably evil and terrifying approaches the cabin. 15. INT. REBEL STARFIGHTER - SUB-HALLWAY The tall, gleaming Threepio rushes through several low, narrow corridors, yelling at Artoo, who races along as fast as his stubby mechanical feet will carry him.
THREEPIO Wait! Wait a minute. I'm coming. ...Would you mind telling me where you are off to? Artoo throws a short beep over his shoulder. THREEPIO (CONT'D) Leaving?! Leaving where? Don't be ridiculous, that's desertion! I order you to stop. Did you hear me? Stop! Artoo continues on, countering with a frenzy of electronic whistles and twangs. THREEPIO (CONT'D) What new prime directive? Why didn't I receive it? What's so important that I'm not to be trusted? I don't believe you. I think you're rattled. Artoo stops before the small hatch of an emergency lifepod. He snaps the seal on the main latch and a red warning light begins to flash. The stubby, dwarf-robot works his way into the cramped four-man pod. THREEPIO (CONT'D) Hey! What are you doing? You can't use that!...It's restricted. You're not permitted in there; you'll be de-activated for sure. The situation is not _that_ desperate! Now come out of there before someone sees you. A new explosion, this time very close, sends dust and debris through the narrow sub-hallway. Flames lick at the two robots. After a flurry of electronic swearing from Artoo, the lanky bronze Threepio jumps into the lifepod. THREEPIO (CONT'D) I think I'm going to regret this; but my prime directive IS preservation. The safety door snaps shut, and with the thunder of exploding latches, the tiny lifepod ejects from the disabled starfighter.
16. INT. IMPERIAL STAR DESTROYER - COCKPIT On the main viewscreen, the lifepod carrying the two terrified robots speeds away from the stricken rebel spacecraft.
CHIEF PILOTThere goes another one. Look. CAPTAIN Hold your fire. No life forms. It must have short-circuited. The captain gets a message on his headset. CAPTAIN (CONT'D) Yes...Yes...He's on his way down now...No. Good, excellent. I'll relay it. (he turns to the pilots) The ship is ours! The pilots cheer and an excited murmur rushes throughout the ship. 17. EXT. SKY OVER UTAPAU - LIFEPOD The reddish-yellow mass of Utapau seems to engulf the tiny lifepod containing the two robots. The grouping of star destroyers grows smaller as the pod descends toward the planet. THREEPIOThat's funny, the damage doesn't look as bad from out here. Are you sure this thing is safe?
18. INT. REBEL SPACEFIGHTER - COCKPIT CORRIDOR Deak Starkiller cuts down several troops who make a frenzied, suicidal charge with laser swords. TROOPS The Bogan! The Bogan! They are no match for the incredibly agile young Jedi. For an eerie moment, all is deathly quiet as a huge darker figure appears in the sub-hallway. The remaining stormtroopers bow low toward the doorway. An awesome, seven-foot BLACK KNIGHT OF THE SITH makes his way into the blinding light of the cockpit area. This is LORD DARTH VADER, right hand to the MASTER OF THE SITH. His sinister face is partially obscured by his flowing black robes and grotesque breath mask, which are in sharp contrast to the fascist white armored suits of the Imperial stormtroopers. The troops instinctively back away from the imposing warrior. Deak Starkiller stands firm; a new look of resolve sweeps across his tired face. The smoky room is deathly quiet, except for the occasional snapping and popping of burning electrical circuits in the cockpit's sophisticated control panel. As the Black Knight enters the corridor, the few surviving troopers scramble into the sub-hallway. Lord Vader speaks in an oddly filtered voice through his complex breathing mask
. VADER At last we meet! DEAK With so much commotion, I expected your master, not merely a servant. Vader is angered by this remark. Taking a deep breath, he raises his arms and every object that isn't bolted down is picked up by an invisible force and hurled at the young Jedi. When the objects reach about two feet of Deak, they are deflected by an invisible shield which surrounds him. DEAK (CONT'D) The Bogan is strong with you; but not nearly strong enough. I'm afraid you’ll have to use your weapon, if you're able! VADERI am Lord Darth Vader, first Knight of the Sith, and right hand to His Eminence Prince Espaa Valorum, the Master of the Bogan. You will not mock me, or my Master; for the Ashla is weak, and the FORCE OF OTHERS cannot save you now... The fearsome dark knight ignites his laser sword and takes a defensive stance. The two galactic warriors stand perfectly still for a few moments, sizing each other up and waiting for the right moment. Deak seems to be under increasing pressure and strain, as if an invisible weight were being placed upon him. He shakes his head and blinking, tries to clear his eyes. VADER (CONT'D) Your powers are weak... Deak makes a sudden lunge at the huge warrior but is checked by a lightning movement of the SITH. A second masterful slash-stroke by Deak is again blocked by his evil opponent. They stand motionless for a few moments, with laser swords locked in mid-air, creating a low buzzing sound. Another of the Jedi's blows is blocked, then countered. Deak stumbles back against a wall. Slowly Deak is forced to his knees as all his energy is drained from his being. Finally, he collapses in a heap. The sinister knight lets out a horrible, shrieking laugh, as stormtroopers rush in with restraining poles, followed by a braided and flashy Imperial commander. Deak's arms and legs are pinned to the wall. He struggles with his bonds.
COMMANDERSo, we got him. Your paraforce is strong indeed. The Emperor will be pleased. Why, he's just a boy! An Imperial officer takes a gold medallion from around the young Jedi's neck. OFFICERThe Starkiller! A murmur of astonishment races throughout the troops. COMMANDERImpossible! He would have to be over three hundred years old. How could this Jedi possibly be the Starkiller? The great Black Knight studies the golden crest, and then stares into the eyes of the fuming Jedi. Vader has a visible dislike of the commander. VADERThis is another of his sons. COMMANDERYour master said he'd killed them all...And why is he wearing his father's crest?
VADERHis father must be dead. The Starkiller would never give this up if he were alive...It possesses great power. _This_ boy must be the last..
COMMANDER"The son of the suns!" The last of the Starkiller line, whom the seer's have said would bring down the Empire.
VADERIt appears we have altered destiny.
COMMANDER (to an aide) Send word to the Emperor. We've captured their "Savior". The rebellion is broken. The Starkiller is dead. Let the attack of Ogana Major begin... The Black Knight takes a restraining pole from one of the guards and brutally jabs the young Jedi in the chest. Deak squirms in pain but does not cry out. He is struck again. An officer approaches the commander.
OFFICERWhy would he chance running the blockade to come out here in the middle of nowhere. There is little on this planet...
COMMANDERAn interesting question. Send a platoon of "Tuskens" to the planet surface and have them report anything unusual. Maybe he has friends we should know about... (turning pointedly to Vader) or perhaps another brother... Vader gives the commander an angry stare and suddenly it appears as if the commander can't catch his breath. The commander turns and rushes out of the cabin in great distress. Vader punches Deak one last time. VADER You will come to know such suffering as only the Master of the Bogan Force can provide. From you he will learn many secrets... Vader throws Deak's head back painfully hard against the wall. VADER (CONT'D) (to the guards) Bind him, and take him to my ship. (to Deak) There is no one to save you now. His frightening laugh rings throughout the starship.
19. EXT. PLANET UTAPAU - EDGE OF THE DUNE SEA JUNDLAND, or "No Man's Land" where the rugged desert mesas meet the foreboding dune sea. The two helpless astro-robots kick up clouds of dust as they leave the lifepod, and clumsily work their way across the desert coastline. The stubby Artoo struggles desperately to keep up with the long-legged Threepio. Suddenly, Artoo makes a sharp right turn, and starts off in the direction of the rocky desert mesas. Threepio stops and yells at him.
THREEPIOWhere do you think you're going?!? A stream of electronic noises pour forth from the small robot.
THREEPIO (CONT'D) ...to find Owen Lars?!? What's that?!? Just because the boss was looking for his brother doesn't mean WE have to look for him! That WAS the prime directive, but not anymore...Besides, why go that way? It's so rocky. Why not go this way? It would be much easier. How do you KNOW Owen Lars is that way? Artoo continues his electronic babbling.
THREEPIO (CONT'D) Don't get technical with me. I think you're going the wrong way. I've had just about enough of you! You pragmatic, nearsighted scrap pile. I don't believe this "Angel Blue" even exits, but you just go that way. You'll be malfunctioning within a day. He picks up the tiny robot and tosses him several feet into a large sand dune. Threepio starts off in the direction of the dune sea. Artoo struggles to his three, stubby feet and shakes a metallic claw arm at his disappearing ex-partner.
THREEPIO (CONT'D) (over his shoulder) ...And don't let me catch you following me begging for help -because you won t get it! Artoo counters with a few short whistles. THREEPIO (CONT'D) Don't call ME a traitor. My loyalty is impeccable!...You emotion-brained intellectual... Artoo's reply is a rather rude sound. He turns and trudges off in the opposite direction.
20. EXT. PLANET UTAPAU - DUNE SEA Threepio, hot and tired, struggles up over the ridge of a dune, only to find more dunes, which seem to go on for endless miles. He looks back in the direction of the now distant rock mesas.
THREEPIOYou little malfunctioning twerp. This is all your fault. You tricked me into going this way, but you'll do no better. He sits in a huff of anger and frustration, knocking the sand from his joints. His plight seems hopeless, when a glint of reflected light in the distance reveals an object speeding toward him. The bronze android waves frantically and yells at the approaching transport.
21. EXT. PLANET UTAPAU - ROCK MESA The little Artoo stumbles over several boulders as he struggles to reach the crest of a rocky mesa. He reaches the top and scans the foreboding desert valley below. Far in the distance, shining in the twin suns like an inviting oasis, stands the settlement of ANCHORHEAD. The mechanical runt carries on an electronic conversation with himself as he searches the rugged ground for something. He picks up a large stone in his powerful claw hand, then discards it. He finds another stone that he is apparently satisfied with, carries it to the edge of the butte, and tosses it over. The stone slams down the steep side of the mesa, kicking up dust and creating a small avalanche. He makes some quick calculations, then starts off down the treacherous slope.
22. EXT. PLANET UTAPAU - ROCK CANYON The gargantuan rock formations are shrouded in a strange mist, and the ominous sounds of unearthly creatures fill the air. Artoo moves cautiously through the creepy rock canyon, inadvertently making a loud clicking noise as he goes. He hears a distant, hard metallic sound and stops for a moment. He hears nothing. He sees nothing moving. Convinced he is alone, he continues on his way. In the distance, a pebble tumbles down the steep canyon wall and a small dark figure darts into the shadows. A little further up the canyon, a slight flicker of light reveals a pair of eyes in the dark recesses, only a few feet from the narrow path. The unsuspecting robot waddles along the rugged trail until suddenly, out of nowhere, a powerful magnetic ray shoots out of the rocks and engulfs him in an eerie glow. He manages one short electronic squeak before he topples over onto his back. His bright computer lights flicker off, then on, then off again. Out of the rocks scurry three MEN, no taller than Artoo. They holster strange and complex weapons as they cautiously approach the robot. They wear grubby cloaks, and their faces are shrouded so that only their yellow eyes can be seen. They hiss and make odd guttural sounds as they heave the heavy robot to their shoulders, and carry him off down the trail. The vile little creatures grunt and groan as they struggle with their weighty prize. They smell horribly, attracting small insects to the dark areas where their mouths and nostrils should be.
23. EXT. ROCK CANYON - SANDCRAWLER Eight dwarfs, or JAWAS, as they're sometimes called, carry Artoo out of the canyon to a huge sandcrawler -- a tank-like vehicle the size of a two-story house. They place the robot in a small bin on one side of the crawler, and a mechanical arm promptly lifts the bin, dumping the unconscious Artoo into the back of the giant tractor. The filthy little Jawas scurry like rats up small ladders and enter the main cabin of the behemoth transport. Several windows light up in the cockpit area toward the front of the crawler followed by the loud scream of powerful engines. The enormous sandcrawler turns and lumbers off toward the magnificent twin suns, now slowly setting over a distant mountain range. 24. INT. SANDCRAWLER - HOLD AREA It is dim and dank inside the hold area of the sandcrawler. Artoo lies on a pile of metal scrap, lifepods, rocket parts, and the limbs and dismembered parts of robots. Artoo's computer lights slowly begin to glow, then they blink on full power. He makes a few electronic sounds to himself as he tries to figure out what happened, and where he is. He stumbles around on the scrap heap until he thinks to turn on the small floodlight on his forehead. The narrow beam swings across the rubble and stops on the half-buried claw arm of another robot. Artoo moves over to the buried robot and calls to it, but gets no response. He pulls on the arm but it won't budge. Finally he gives it a good tug and it breaks loose, sending him head over heels. He sits dazed, holding the severed forearm of a power robot, then lets out a terrifying electronic shriek. The little robot scans the rest of the huge chamber with his headlights and sees a series of grotesquely twisted and maimed astro robots. The narrow beam comes to rest on a battered, but otherwise whole "common-labor" robot. The "laborer" makes a move to cover his giant electronic eye, which is extended on a long tube from his box-like body. Little Artoo jumps back in fright.
LABORERShut off that light! Artoo is still shaken, but manages a short apology and then shuts off his light. The laborer robot is barely visible. LABORER (CONT'D) Is there no peace!? This is MY chamber, go find yourself another. Go on...go on! Get out! Artoo stumbles off toward what appears to be a door at the end of the chamber. He enters a large room with a very low ceiling (about four feet high). In the middle of the scrap heap sit a dozen or so robots of various shapes and sizes. Some are engaged in electronic conversation, while others simply mill about. In the middle of the group sits a strange, little robot with a large worklight for a head, which illuminates the odd assemblage of mechanical slaves. A blue "astro construction" robot -- somewhat similar to Artoo, only a bit fatter -approaches the newcomer and beeps an electronic greeting. The two stubby robots exchange electronic analysis of the situation as they waddle toward the group. A voice of recognition calls out from the gloom.
THREEPIOArtoo! Artoo Detoo! It's you! A battered and slightly worse-for-wear Threepio scrambles up to Artoo on his hands and knees (remember the four foot ceiling) and embraces him.
THREEPIO (CONT'D) ...they've caught you, too. I'm afraid we're doomed! We're doomed! The blue robot continues on back to the group as the two old companions huddle in a hollow of scrap metal.
THREEPIO (CONT'D) We've landed on one of the OUTLAND DARK PLANETS! There is no hope for us now. These Jawa's aren't traders, they're metalmen. They'll melt us down. I'm not useful like you, they'll scrap me for sure. Artoo makes a short electronic reply.
THREEPIO(CONT'D) You're right. I should not have ignored your prime directive. But it's a little late now... Wait, we're stopping!
25. EXT. WASTELAND - NIGHT The monstrous sandcrawler pulls up to a large outcropping of rocks in the trail and grinds to a rumbling stop. Several Jawa's scramble out of the huge vehicle to inspect the boulders blocking the trail. An argument erupts between one Jawa, in a red habit, and the other hooded dwarfs. He yells something at the others, then walks off to the side of the trail. The rest of the little creatures climb back into the giant tank. The crawler starts with a low hum, slowly moving forward until a loud scraping noise screams from beneath the chassis. The red-cloaked dwarf climbs onto a nearby rock and yells at the others to stop. They ignore him.
26. INT. SANDCRAWLER - HOLD AREA The scraping sound is haunting as well as deafening. The entire chamber trembles, creating quite a commotion among the mechanical men. At the far end of the long chamber, a bright light suddenly appears, followed by a cacophony of electronic shouts and yells. The "common labor" robot runs past the confused Artoo and Threepio. LABORERWe're free! We're free! Amidst the confusion of the fleeing robots, Artoo and Threepio carefully make their way toward a break in the side of the crawler. Several Jawas appear at the opening with pistols, but before they can fire, they are knocked over and trampled by the fleeing mechanical men.
27. EXT. WASTELAND - NIGHT The sound of yelling Jawas and screaming robots fades in the distance as Artoo and Threepio scramble up a narrow ravine away from the sandcrawler. They duck into a tiny crevice in the rock to avoid several fleeing robots, followed by a dozen armed Jawas. After a few moments they peer out, and seeing that the way is clear, rush off down the winding path.
DISSOLVE TO: 28. EXT. PLANET UTAPAU - ANCHORHEAD SETTLEMENT A small settlement, consisting of a few run-down blockhouse-type buildings, rests against one of the huge rock mesas. The two robots study the sleepy little camp from a bluff some distance away. THREEPIOI don't like it. What if there are more Jawa scavengers down there? The runt-like Artoo starts off down the side of the rocky bluff.
THREEPIO (CONT'D) Wait a minute! It's too dangerous. We need a plan... Threepio chases his little partner down the slope. 29. EXT. ANCHORHEAD SETTLEMENT - MAIN STREET The dozen or so buildings are bleached white by the two Utapau suns. A harsh and dusty wind blows through the empty streets of the tiny settlement. A rather frightened Threepio follows his little companion down the foreboding street toward a low concrete structure that is all but covered by the desert sands. The rusted hulk of a powerful "landspeeder" (an auto-like transport which travels a few feet above the ground on a magnetic field) lies half-buried to one side of the building. The two robots cautiously approach the dilapidated power station.
THREEPIOI don't like this... It is quiet, but for the continual wind. A dismantled speeder rests in the repair bay of the gas station-like building. There is a sharp dripping sound coming from the speeder. It appears that no one is around.
THREEPIO (CONT'D) Greetings!...Greetings. Is anyone home? (to Artoo) I think you're overheated. There is no one here... Out of the gloom of the office behind them, a voice cuts through the silence: VOICE (MECHANIC) What can I do you for? The robots turn around with a start. A short, wizened old MECHANIC of sixty or seventy stands before them. MECHANIC (CONT'D) Who are you with? THREEPIOGreetings, sir. I'm See Threepio, Human-Cyborg relations. This is my counterpart, Artoo Detoo. Your kindness would be greatly appreciated... The old mechanic is a bit suspicious. An evil look fills his eye. He rubs his grimy, withered hand over Threepio's smooth metal shoulder.
MECHANICYou're in very good shape for these parts...Where is your master? You do have a master, don't you? Artoo beeps a few signals to his bronze friend. The old mechanic begins to fiddle with the wrench he is holding, in the most unsettling way. Threepio becomes a bit nervous. THREEPIOI am looking for one Owen Lars. We believe him to be of this settlement. Do you know where we might find him? The mechanic starts dragging a heavy power-pack toward the station.
MECHANICLars! I should have known...He should know better than to let you travel alone. He has a place about three measures out of town. Due north, you can't miss it. It's the only place out there... Artoo helps the old man with the heavy power pack.
THREEPIOYour kindness is greatly appreciated. MECHANICAny time I can help Lars, I am at his service. You tell him that. Be careful going out there, this ain't good country for you two to be running loose in. THREEPIOYes sir, we appreciate your concern. The two robots start down the empty street heading north, leaving the old mechanic scratching his head. The old man passes a sinister-looking, black Imperial speeder half hidden behind a generator as he returns to his gloomy office.
30. INT. POWER STATION OFFICE - ANCHORHEAD SETTLEMENT In the shadows of the dingy little office sits a large, burly Imperial "Tusken". His reddish eyes are sunken in a larger than normal, dust-covered face. He sits up in his chair.
MECHANICNow there's something "out of the ordinary" for you. I wonder what they want with Lars? The gray Tusken thinks about this for a moment. TUSKENI'd better make a report.
31. EXT. PLANET UTAPAU - WASTELAND - HOMESTEAD VALLEY Several concrete buildings squat in the middle of a desolate valley. Threepio hurries after his determined companion as they near the low gray structures.
THREEPIO...I don't care; he STILL could have offered us transport. How much further do you suppose. I've got to rest, before I fall apart. My joints are almost frozen. What a forsaken place this is. We seem to be made to suffer, it's our lot in life...
32. EXT. LARS HOMESTEAD - COURTYARD Artoo and Threepio enter the main courtyard of the Lars Homestead and find themselves standing in a sparse but sparkling oasis, with low concrete walls and great turrets spilling over with foliage from rooftop gardens. They stop before an enormous shaded corridor. BIGGS AND WINDY STARKILLER, twin boys a little over seven years old, run through the long tile walkway to greet the robots. Yelling and laughing, their tiny footsteps echo throughout the building. They are quickly followed by OWEN LARS, a bearded, sturdy-burly man in his early fifties and his plump-jolly wife, BERU. Their beautiful sixteen-year-old daughter, LEIA, stands shyly at the far end of the entry. The twins run around the robots, jumping and screaming their excitement. The mechanical men are somewhat befuddled by the dynamic duo, and attempt to ignore them. LARSWelcome. May we offer you shelter? Are you lost, or do you travel with someone?
THREEPIO Greetings. I am See Threepio, Human-Cyborg relations. This is my counterpart, Artoo Detoo. We seek the dwelling of Owen Lars. LARS You have found it, my friends. I am Owen Lars... (to the riotous twins) Boys, slow down a little and let them speak...
THREEPIOWe have come for the one called "Angel Blue". Owen and Beru are startled at the mention of "Angel Blue". Leia approaches the group, and eyes the robots suspiciously; she turns to her father. LEIAFather, I think they're a trap, sent by an evil Jawa trading lord, or the dark master of the Bogan, or maybe even the Emperor himself. LARS Leia. LEIAYes, that's it. They've intercepted transmission fragments and are now searching the galaxy for the source. They don't know the origin, so they have sent these...
BERULeia, please! Let your father handle this. LARS Who speaks for you? From what system do you hail?
THREEPIO Deak 331-27-27 of Ogana Major... Beru's concern at the mention of Deak cannot be contained. BERUWhat has happened? Where is Deak? THREEPIOOur master has been attacked. My counterpart brings his message for the one called "Angel Blue". LARSLuke is in the southern ravine. The boys will take you to him. The two boys let out a cheer and run off toward the distant horizon. THREEPIOYour kindness is greatly appreciated. We thank you... (turning to the boys) Wait! Slow down a bit. The mechanical duo lumber off after the disappearing twins.
33. EXT. DESERT RAVINE Alone in a wind-swept canyon stands LUKE STARKILLER, a short, chubby boy about eighteen years old. He seems frozen in place, a humming laser sword held high over his head. The twins stop on the ridge overlooking their brother and fall silent. The robots soon take up position behind them. THREEPIOIs that "Angel Blue"? Biggs turns and gestures to the tall bronze man to be quiet. Suspended at eye level -- about ten feet in front of Luke -a chrome baseball covered with antenna hovers slowly in a wide arc. The ball floats to one side of the youth, then to the other. Suddenly it makes a lightning swift lunge and stops within a few feet of Luke's face. Luke doesn't move, and the ball backs off. It slowly moves behind the boy, then makes another quick lunge, this time emitting a blood red laser beam as it attacks. Luke sparks to life. With one amazingly swift move, he turns and swings his laser sword, deflecting the beam, and losing his balance, tumbles to the desert floor. The ball shoots straight up in the air about twenty feet, then drops like a rock firing a second laser bolt, which hits the youth square on the seat of his pants. Luke lets out a painful yell and attempts to scramble to his feet, but is hit several more times before he manages to regain his balance and deflect the bolts. The ball ceases firing, and moves back to its original position. Luke raises his hand signaling "enough for one day". He wearily picks up his things, including the chrome ball, then turns and waves to the small group on the ridge. The twins run down to greet him. By the time the cumbersome Artoo and Threepio make it down the slope, Biggs and Windy are climbing all over their big brother.
THREEPIO (CONT'D) "Angel Blue"?... LUKE"...the Skywalker"... The two robots make a short bow before the youth.
THREEPIOSee Threepio, and my counterpart Artoo Detoo. At your service, sir. LUKEYou have word of my brother. What has happened to him? THREEPIOI'm sorry, sir; but I am unable to explain the absence of our master. We only bring his message... Artoo makes a few electronic beeps and whistles; then after a little static, a small (two foot) 3-D hologram of Deak is projected from the face of the robot. The image is a rainbow of color as it flickers and jiggles in the desert wasteland
. DEAK'S IMAGEWhippersnapper, I didn't make it...I'm sorry. The forces of the Bogan have become strong and deadly...I am lost. Father is in grave danger. He needs you and he needs the KIBER CRYSTAL. You must find a way to get to Ogana Major on your own. He is waiting for you there. Be careful, though. Ogana Major is under siege by the Imperial Legions of Alderaan. You must hurry for the force of the Ashla grows weak, and I don't know how much longer father can hold out. The enemy has constructed a powerful weapon to use against him. Warn Uncle... An Aquillian officer enters the hologram and interrupts Deak. There is a little static, then the transmission is cut short. A grave concern sweeps over Luke as he contemplates the fate of his brother. Biggs and Windy are puzzled. BIGGSWho was that? LUKEThat was your brother Deak. I wish you could see him in person, he is so terrific...I'm afraid you may never see him now. Run to the house. Tell Aunt Beru or Uncle Owen I'm going to be awhile. Go on now...Take them with you. The boys rush off with the robots in tow, leaving Luke sitting silently alone. He picks up some small stones and begins to toss them at a large boulder. A chip in the boulder reveals a small shiny fossil. Luke spots it and goes over to study it. He takes a small camera out of his bag and photographs it, making some accompanying notations in a small book.
34. INT. LARS HOMESTEAD - DINING AREA Owen Lars and the three boys sit before a table covered with steaming bowls of food. Biggs and Windy are eating between giggles and horseplay. Luke has barely touched his dinner. Leia enters from the kitchen with a flask filled with blue milk. She sits near Luke. OWENWhere's the thanta sauce? (yelling into the other room) Honey, where's the thanta sauce? Beru enters carrying a small pitcher. She gives Owen a knowing smile as she slides into her place at the table.
BERUI never! I put it right here in front so you'd see it. She hands him a dish, and he grunts an embarrassed reply.
BERU (CONT'D) Luke, you've hardly touched your dinner. Have some bum-bum extract. It's very mild. OWEN (to Luke) The force of the Bogan is strong, and if you don't feel you can make it, you probably won't.
LUKEI've never even been past this planet...and I never thought I'd be going alone. Suddenly I feel very small -and well...desperate. OWENHow I wish I had the counsel of your father. Ever since your mother died, we have fallen on doubtful times... LUKEDeak is in trouble. I should be helping him... OWENIf your brother is still alive, they will have taken him to the dungeons of ALDERAAN, at the very heart of the Empire. No one, not even your father in his prime, could help him there. Biggs and Windy have finished eating and are getting restless. BIGGSMay we play with the "droids"?
BERUTake your plates out first. The twins scamper into the kitchen with their dirty dishes. OWENYour father is getting very old. I fear he needs your help more than your brother does, and much more depends on him succeeding. If he at last has asked for the Kiber Crystal, his powers must be very weak. It is a dangerous thing to have loose in the galaxy ...and you need him, for you are not yet with the FORCE OF OTHERS. I have taught you the ways of a skilled warrior, but I am not a Jedi Bendu. The ways of the spirit you must learn from your father. LUKEBut my catalog on the ancients. I haven't nearly completed it... OWENLuke, you're not a researcher, or a philosopher. You're the son of a Jedi. Your brothers accepted their destiny with joy and pride. Anyone would. Why can't you?
LUKEI may be a good pilot, but I'm not a warrior. No matter how hard I try. It's just not in me.
OWENI know, you'd rather carve a jud stone, or work on your catalog of the ancients...I've trained seven of your father's sons and it's clear that you are not the most gifted in the disciplines -- not in power or speed, at any rate...
LUKEDeak was the best; but that didn't seem to be good enough... BERUBut you have the way about you... and wisdom far beyond your years... OWENYou must learn to use such strength and wits as you have. Your father has need of the Kiber Crystal. The decision is yours. I cannot bear this burden for you, my duty is to the twins. But we must do something soon. The enemy is moving, and we are no longer safe here. Leia listens to the discussion with much interest. She watches Luke with un-concealed admiration.
BERULuke, if you do decide to go, remember Ogana Major is far across the galaxy. Without Deak to help you, the way will be difficult, and chances of your reaching your father are slim. Don't try it if you think you are going to fail. The power of the Bogan force has grown strong; but if the Kiber Crystal were to fall into the hands of the enemy, all hope would be lost...
OWENSomehow, you will have to manage to find transport in MOS EISLEY, and once you do, the way through the Outland Systems will be dark and dangerous. The wild things there are queer and savage, unlike anything you've experienced here. Leia is unable to control her concern.
LEIALuke, you don't even know the "grip of tython" or "the seven moves". You can't...
OWENLeia... Leia settles down, but she is clearly worried. There is a long silence. Owen sits back in his chair, and lights up his pipe. The twins can be heard playing with Artoo and Threepio in the other room. The silence becomes uncomfortable.
LUKEI suppose I must go... Tears begin to roll down Leia's cheeks, and she rushes from the room. Beru looks to Owen, who looks to Luke, who looks embarrassed.
BERUThe prayers of all of us go with you. LUKEThe Empire's vast size and power is its greatest weakness. I think I can make it...But I would rather help Deak trapped in the heart of the Empire than face this father I don't remember. Owen gets up from the table and gently pats Luke on the shoulder.
35. EXT. LARS HOMESTEAD - GRAVE SITE - DUSK Luke sits before a tall smooth stone planted on a burial mound. He sits with his head bowed to his knees. Finally he stands up and speaks to the stone.
LUKEWell, Mom. I guess this is my last visit...I'm going to finally get to meet him...I fear many Jedi have fallen since your death, for the Bogan force is now heavy among us. Father asks for the Kiber Crystal so there is little hope. I'm sure the boys will stay safe with Uncle Owen...I sure miss you... The twin suns of Utapau rest red on the horizon as Luke leaves the grave site and walks the short distance to the main house.
36. INT. LARS HOMESTEAD - MAIN LIVING AREA - DUSK The main living area is a dim, cool room projecting a feeling of time-worn comfort and security. Owen lovingly moves his arm around Beru as they stand before a large window watching the giant twin suns of Utapau slowly disappear behind a distant dune range.
BERUAren't they beautiful? OWEN"Always and never the same."
BERUMust we leave? OWENI think with Luke going, we'll be safe here for awhile. We've been the happiest here, haven't we...
BERUOwen, he's not ready, is he?... Why don't you stop him? What was Deak thinking of to place such an impossible task before his brother... The door opens and Luke enters, collapsing in a large, over-stuffed chair near a pot-belly thermal-heater which dominates the room. A warm friendly glow radiates from a tiny portal in front of the heater. Luke's gaze is fixed on the red embers, but his eyes are lit as if by a greater fire from within. Owen and Beru talk quietly in the background. She rests her head on his shoulder as the last rays of sunlight stream across the floor of the room. A playful Biggs and Windy enter with Leia and stand in the doorway. The twins are dressed in their night clothes.
BIGGSWhat's going on in here? Luke returns from his world of dark thoughts and smiles at them. The twins rush up to Owen and Beru, give them a kiss, then bounce over to Luke, and jump into his lap. BERUDon't be too late now. Owen and Beru take Leia into the other room.
WINDYWhy are you going away? LUKEBecause our father needs me, as he will need you someday.
BIGGSI thought our father was killed?
LUKEThe time has come for me to tell you of your heritage, as Deak told it to me and as his older brother Cliegg told it to him. The boys settle down and listen attentively.
LUKE (CONT'D) In another time, long before the Empire, and before the Republic had been formed, a holy man called the Skywalker became aware of a powerful energy field which he believed influenced the destiny of all living creatures...
BIGGSThe "FORCE OF OTHERS"! LUKEYes, and after much study, he was able to know the force, and it communicated with him. He came to see things in a new way. His "aura" and powers grew very strong. The Skywalker brought a new life to the people of his system, and became one of the founders of the Republic Galactica.
WINDYThe "FORCE OF OTHERS" talked to him!?!
LUKEIn a manner different from the way we talk. As you know, the "FORCE OF OTHERS" has two halves: Ashla, the good, and Bogan, the paraforce or evil part. Fortunately, Skywalker came to know the good half and was able to resist the paraforce; but he realized that if he taught others the way of the Ashla, some, with less strength, might come to know Bogan, the dark side, and bring unthinkable suffering to the Universe. For this reason, the Skywalker entrusted the secret of THE FORCE only to his twelve children, and they in turn passed on the knowledge only to their children, who became known as the Jedi Bendu of the Ashla: "the servants of the force". For thousands of years, they brought peace and justice to the galaxy. At one time there were several hundred Jedi families, but now there are only two or three.
WINDYWhat happened to them?
LUKEAs the Republic spread throughout the galaxy, encompassing over a million worlds, the GREAT SENATE grew to such overwhelming proportions that it no longer responded to the needs of its citizens. After a series of assassinations and elaborately rigged elections, the Great Senate became secretly controlled by the Power and Transport guilds. When the Jedi discovered the conspiracy and attempted to purge the Senate, they were denounced as traitors. Several Jedi allowed themselves to be tried and executed, but most of them fled into the Outland systems and tried to tell people of the conspiracy. But the elders chose to remain behind, and the Great Senate diverted them by creating civil disorder. The Senate secretly instigated race wars, and aided anti-government terrorists. They slowed down the system of justice, which caused the crime rate to rise to the point where a totally controlled and oppressive police state was welcomed by the systems. The Empire was born. The systems were exploited by a new economic policy which raised the cost of power and transport to unbelievable heights. Many worlds were destroyed this way. Many people starved... BIGGSWhy didn't the "FORCE OF OTHERS" help the Jedi to put things right?
LUKEBecause a terrible thing happened. During one of his lessons a young PADAWAN-JEDI, a boy named Darklighter, came to know the evil half of the force, and fell victim to the spell of the dreaded Bogan. He ran away from his instructor and taught the evil ways of the Bogan Force to a clan of Sith pirates, who then spread untold misery throughout the systems. They became the personal bodyguards of the Emperor. The Jedi were hunted down by these deadly Sith knights. With every Jedi death, contact with the Ashla grows weaker, and the force of the Bogan grows more powerful.
WINDYWhere are the Jedi now? LUKEThey're hidden; but many are still fighting to free the systems from the grip of the Empire. Our father is a Jedi. He is called "The Starkiller" and is said to be a great and wise man, and tomorrow I am on my way to join him and learn the ways of the "FORCE OF OTHERS". BIGGSCan we go, too? LUKENot yet, Biggs my boy. There is much you must learn from Uncle Owen -- where it is safe. And when you are ready, I will come back for you...I promise.
37. EXT. LARS HOMESTEAD - COURTYARD - DAWN Early morning breaks across the quiet little courtyard as Owen and Luke lift supplies into the back of a low, battered, two-man landspeeder. Threepio lifts Artoo into a tiny jump-seat, then climbs into the passenger compartment. Beru, Leia, and the twins stand in the entryway, silently watching. The storage hatch is slammed shut with a bang. Owen unfastens his gun-belt and hands it to Luke. He slides back a small latch on the belt buckle revealing a small diamond-like crystal. Luke carefully examines it. LUKEThe Kiber Crystal!
OWENThe only one. A Jedi can use it to intensify the Ashla force a hundred fold; but, remember it can also be used to intensify the power of the Bogan...It must not fall into the hands of the Sith... They would do anything to have it. Luke stands looking at the Crystal for a few moments, then snaps the buckle closed and puts on the belt.
OWEN (CONT'D) The enemy is everywhere, so stay alert. If you keep due south, you should make it in two days at the most. I just hope you can sell this bucket for enough to get you to the Ogana System... For a few awkward moments, Luke stands looking at everyone not really wanting to say goodbye. OWEN (CONT'D) It's a good day to travel.
The FORCE OF OTHERS is surely with you. We'll be moving on soon. I will send word once we're settled... Luke shakes his hand, and Owen gives him a big hug. The young adventurer then goes to his Aunt Beru and gives her a kiss and a hug.
BERUThe spaceport at Mos Eisley is not a decent place. Be careful there. LUKEI'll watch out, Aunt Beru. Don't worry. He lovingly roughs up the twins, and starts to give Leia a kiss, but thinks better of it and gives her a short polite hug before retreating to the speeder. Leia is greatly disappointed. OWENWish your father well.
BERUMay the FORCE OF OTHERS be with you. Luke pops open the door of the speeder; but before he can get in, Leia runs up and gives him a big kiss. Luke is surprised and embarrassed. Beru and Owen smile, as Leia rushes back into the house. Luke settles into the speeder and it starts with a crack and loud whine. Everyone waves as the speeder roars out of the courtyard, and into the desolate Utapau wilderness.
38. EXT. LANDSPEEDER - TRAVELING The sleek landspeeder glides effortlessly through the treacherous rock canyons and out onto the awesome dune sea. The vibrations of the speeder causes Artoo's outer shell to rattle a rhythmic little tune.
LUKEHow long were you with my brother?
THREEPIOI had the pleasure of serving Master Deak for over three years ...my counterpart was with him a bit longer. Artoo chatters to his bronze interpreter.
THREEPIO (CONT'D) ...Three years eight months. Master Deak is a man above men. You should be proud of him. indeed you should, sir. I'm only a "droid", and not much more than an interpreter, and not very good at poetry, if you take my meaning -- not at making it up anyway. So I can't tell you what he's really like. But a great man he is! Strong...with great skill...I hope he's not in peril...what a dilemma! Sometimes the logic of human relations escapes me... Luke thinks about this for a few moments; then rather reluctantly, almost afraid, he asks a second question. LUKEHave you ever met my father?
THREEPIONo, I'm afraid not, sir. I couldn't even tell you what he looks like. He's an elusive one. More of a myth than a man, if I may say so, sir...But Master Deak always spoke of him with great respect... Luke seems a little disappointed with Threepio's answer. 39. EXT. DUNE SEA The small speeder sits at the bottom of a huge sand dune. Luke, with his extremely long-barreled laser rifle slung over his shoulder, makes his way to the top of the ridge. He studies the landscape with his electro-binoculars, until he spots a small dust twister speeding toward them. He quickly slides back down the dune to where Threepio is lifting Artoo out of the speeder. The stubby little robot struts around stretching his joints between irritated whistles. LUKEYou were right, there is something following us. We'd better move on.
THREEPIOWho do you suppose it is? Do you think they're looking for us? LUKEIt's probably nothing. A "jomtrader" most likely; but I have a strange feeling about it.
DISSOLVE TO: 40. EXT. PLANET UTAPAU - MOS EISLEY SPACEPORT The speeder stops on a bluff overlooking the spaceport at MOS EISLEY. It is a haphazard array of low gray concrete structures and semi-domes. A harsh gale blows across the bleak canyon floor and batters Luke as he lowers his sand goggles and walks to the edge of the craggy bluff. A leaden sky presses down on the large settlement, which seems to be losing a never-ending battle against the shifting sands. Something in the distance catches his eye, and he instinctively grabs his electrobinoculars. He follows a sinister-black "tusken" landspeeder as it enters the spaceport. Luke returns to his speeder, and his two mechanical companions.
LUKEWell, whoever was following us has gone into Mos Eisley...they weren't "jom traders", that's for sure...It was a speeder of the Imperial starforce...
41. EXT. MOS EISLEY SPACEPORT - SLUM DWELLINGS Luke stops the speeder before the remains of a burnt-out spaceship the size of a large jet fighter. Two scruffy figures huddle around a small thermal-heater, attempting to use the spacecraft as shelter against the howling winds. One of the rag-tag figures gets up and ventures over to Luke in the speeder. When the shabby beggar stands up, it is obvious from his pint size that he is a Jawa. Artoo lets out a string of electronic beeps and whistles.
THREEPIOBegging your pardon, sir, but watch out for this guy. The wretched little creature moves close to the speeder and begins to run his gnarled little hand across it. LUKEWhere might I find passage on a starship?
JAWANice zoom zoom. LUKEWhere are the men who fly in the ships? Saliva dribbles from the dark hole where the Jawa's face should be and drops, splat, on the hood of the speeder. JAWADrink place. Drink place down the street. Nice zoom zoom. The Jawa continues to fondle the speeder as Luke starts the magno-system. The filthy little creature reluctantly jumps away as the speeder takes off and glides down the dismal spaceport street. 42. EXT. MOS EISLEY SPACEPORT - CANTINA The speeder pulls up in front of a run-down, blockhouse cantina on the outskirts of the spaceport. Various strange forms of transport, including several unusual beasts of burden, are parked outside the bar.
THREEPIOI can't abide those Jawas. Disgusting creatures.
LUKETake care in here. I don't like the looks of this place. As the trio exit the speeder, an ancient human shrouded in gray robes, sitting near the entrance to the cantina calls out to them. The man appears to be a blind beggar. SEERCome to me and the truth shall be known. Luke reluctantly approaches the old man. SEER (CONT'D) I've seen what is to be. I can tell you what you need to know... Luke drops several coins in the man's open palm. LUKECan you tell me where I might find transport to Ogana Major?
SEERYour fate is clouded...but the will of the force has set your path. The man you seek you'll find inside; the one who needs you, you'll find in time. Fear not, for the "son of the suns" will free us all. Take care for the Bogan is heavy upon this system. May the FORCE OF OTHERS be with you. Luke is somewhat puzzled by the old man's dialogue.
THREEPIOA profoundly illogical answer. He's not completely with us, if you take my meaning. 43. INT. SPACEPORT CANTINA The young adventurer and his two mechanical servants enter the smoke-filled cantina. The murky, moldy den is filled with a startling array of weird and exotic alien creatures and monsters, laughing at the long metallic bar. At first, the sight is horrifying. One-eyed, thousand-eyed, slimy, furry, scaly tentacles and claws huddle over drinks. Luke moves to an empty spot at the bar near a group of repulsive but human Corellian pirates. A huge, rough-looking
BARTENDER comes over to Luke and the robots.
BARTENDERWe don't serve "their kind" in here. Luke, still recovering from the shock of seeing so many outlandish creatures in one room, doesn't quite catch the bartender's drift. LUKEWhat? BARTENDERYour "Droids" will have to wait outside. We don't serve 'em here. Luke notices that several of the creatures along the bar are giving them a very unfriendly glare.
LUKEYes, of course, I'm so sorry. (he turns to Threepio) You'd better stay with the speeder. We don't want any trouble... I'll bring you something... THREEPIOI must say, I agree, sir. Threepio and his stubby partner go outside, and most of the creatures at the bar go back to their drinks. Luke is standing next to HAN SOLO, a young Corellian pirate only a few years older than himself. He is a burly-bearded but ruggedly handsome boy dressed in a gaudy array of flamboyant apparel.
LUKEDo you know of any ship heading toward the Ogana Systems? Han Solo eyes him suspiciously. HANWhat's your business, little one? Han turns to his companion,
CHEWBACCA, an eight foot tall, savage-looking creature resembling a huge gray bush-baby monkey with fierce "baboon"-like fangs. His large yellow eyes dominate a fur-covered face and soften his otherwise awesome appearance. Over his matted, furry body, he wears two chrome bandoleers, a flak jacket painted in a bizarre camouflage pattern, brown cloth shorts, and little else. He is a two-hundred-year-old "WOOKIEE", and a sight to behold. Han speaks to the Wookiee in his own language, which is little more than a series of grunts. The young pirate points to Luke several times during his conversation and the creature suddenly lets out a horrifying laugh. Han chuckles to himself and turns back to Luke
. HAN (CONT'D) What would you be doing going on such a trip? Ogana Major is part of the Alliance...You wouldn't be one of those rebels, would yuh, little one? He can't control his laughter, and Chewbacca starts in again, also. Luke is getting a little worried. LUKEI just want passage. Han puts his arm around Luke's shoulder and draws him near. HANListen, little one, why don't you go on back to the farm or wherever you come from. Then maybe in a few years you'll grow up to become an important starpilot, like me. He lets out a hearty laugh and turns back to the giant Wookiee. Luke is afraid, but tries not to show it. He quietly sips his drink, looking over the crowd for a more sympathetic ear, or whatever. A large multiple-eyed creature on the other side of Luke gives him a rather rough shove.
CREATURENegola dughi wooldugger?!? The hideous freak is obviously drunk. Luke tries to ignore the creatures and turns back to his drink. A short grubby HUMAN and an even smaller rodent-like beast join the belligerent monstrosity.
HUMANHe doesn't like you.
HUMANI don't like you either. The big creature is getting agitated, and yells some unintelligible gibberish at the now rather nervous young Jedi.
HUMAN (CONT'D) Don't insult us. You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.
LUKEI'll be careful then. HUMANYou'll be dead. The rodent lets out a loud grunt and everything at the bar moves away. Luke tries to remain cool, but it isn't easy. His three adversaries ready their weapons. Han Solo, who has been watching the chain of events, begins to feel sorry for the young tenderfoot and intervenes. HANThis little one isn't worth the effort. Besides, he's leaving. Come, let me buy you something. A powerful blow from the unpleasant creature sends the young Corellian pirate sailing across the room, crashing through tables and breaking a large jug filled with a foul-looking liquid. With a blood-curdling shriek, the monster draws a wicked chrome laser pistol from his belt. The bartender panics!
BARTENDERNo blasters!! No blaster! Please! Little Luke's laser sword sparks to life, and in a flash, an arm lies on the floor. The rodent is cut in two, and the giant, multiple-eyed creature lies doubled, cut from chin to groin. Luke shaking, and somewhat amazed at his reflex powers, replaces his sword in its sheath. The entire fight has lasted only a matter of seconds. The cantina goes back to normal, although Luke is now given a respectable amount of room at the bar. Han, rubbing his bruised head, approaches the "little one" with new awe. The bartender drags the bodies out. HANI could have saved myself a good bump if I had known your skill...
LUKEI thank you for trying to help. HANThey're lucky they caught me off guard. I would have taken more time with them. It's the Bogan force. We've been feeling it for several days. It drives those MONDUTHS wild...I'm Han Solo. This is my first-mate Chewbacca. Luke is still giddy, and downs a fresh drink.
HAN (CONT'D) So you're looking for transport to Ogana...I might be able to help, but it's very far -- the cost would be great. LUKEI can pay. You know of a ship going in that direction? HANIn these times, one cannot be too careful, you understand -going into a rebel zone and all -- but come to my place. We'll have some food and talk this over. Luke is filled with grateful enthusiasm at his new-found "friends" and ignores their sinister grins.
44. EXT. MOS EISLEY SPACEPORT - ALLEYWAY Han, Chewbacca, Luke and the robots walk along a narrow slum alleyway crowded with darkly-clad creatures hawking exotic goods in dingy little stalls. Men and monsters crouch in waste-filled doorways whispering and hiding from the chilling winds. They enter a small doorway in a decaying stone building at the far end of the alley. 45. INT. SLUM DWELLING - LIVING AREA The seedy slum dwelling is dark and dingy. Han is greeted by a female "Boma" named OEETA. The Boma is a fur-covered creature about five feet high and looks like a cross between a brown bear and a guinea pig. It is obvious from her figure that she is a female. Han embraces Oeeta and gives her a big kiss, then checks out the stew-like mess boiling away on a dilapidated fusion-burner in the kitchen area.
HANGood, good...We're hungry. Bring my friends some of this. She answers in a strange baboon-like call and starts dishing up the slop. Threepio and Artoo cautiously dust off a bench in the kitchen and sit down. Luke and Chewbacca join Han at a large table in the center of the main room.
HAN (CONT'D) Now tell me of your adventures. What is on Ogana Major that draws you there? LUKEI am looking to join my father. I have been living with my uncle, beyond the Great Dune sea. He has a small moisture ranch -not much of an adventure, I'm afraid. HANAhh, no farmer could cut down three brigands as you did. But, as you wish. In time you will grow to trust me... Oeeta brings them each a steaming bowl of "Boma-mush", and a large mug of some heavy brew. Chewbacca and Han dig in with great vigor, but Luke is a little hesitant.
HAN (CONT'D) Eat up, don't let its smell bother you...Now, for the right sum, I could take you to Ogana Major myself. But it would be a special charter. I have no other business in that area, and the way is a little dangerous.
LUKEHow much? HANAn even million, I think. We will have to somehow sneak past the Imperial blockade. It won't be easy. LUKE A million! I haven't that much. I hope to get one fifty for my speeder...but that's all I have.
HANWell, I doubt you'll find another ship to take you. Most captains rarely venture there. The civil war makes it far too dangerous... I was sure a man of your abilities would be worth more. What of your two "droids" -you could get at least four or five for them...even if you sold them as scrap. Artoo and Threepio become suddenly attentive and listen closely to the conversation in the next room. Artoo begins to beep, but Threepio puts his bronze hand over his little companion's mouth. Luke thinks about this for a moment.
LUKENo...I need them. What if I were to pay you one fifty now, and my father gave you the rest on our arrival? He is an honorable man of great influence. I'm sure he would make it worth your while. The two robots breathe a sigh of relief. Han's waning interest is renewed by the mention of "great influence". HANYou mean a bonus maybe. Your father must be a man of great wealth?
LUKEI'm sure he would reward you. Han thinks about this for a few moments, then turns to Chewbacca and seemingly explains the situation to him. The Wookiee shrugs his shoulders as if to say "Why not?" HANWe've got a deal then. Sell your speeder and I'll meet you at docking port twenty-three. My ship will be ready and waiting for you. We should go right away, I think.
46. EXT. MOS EISLEY SPACEPORT - DOCKING PORT 23 Han and his lumbering first-mate Chewbacca hurry along behind MONTROSS HOLDAACK, a large, portly man who walks with a stiff, awkward gait. They move along a tall gantry overlooking a long, complex spacecraft. HANBut you're my friend, my best and closest partner. Oxus will still listen to you! He will, I tell you, I know he will. I really have a live one this time. I asked for a million, and he didn't even flinch, and the way he fights -- he must belong to one of the royal families, I'm just sure of it. This may be worth two million, maybe three. You've got to talk to Oxus...You've just got to...
MONTROSSLike your information on the AKURIAN spice shipment...After that botch, if I WERE crazy enough to suggest another one of your plots to him, he'd have us both diced... HANBut this is different. This is our chance. Are we partners or not? Are you going to dream away the rest or your life, or are we going to try for the big one?
MONTROSSThe only way Oxus would go along is if you killed him...I'm too old, Han. I can't do it, you'll have to find someone else.
HANThere's no time. What kind of talk is this? Where's the old Montross that single-handedly destroyed a colony of Banthas and rescued me from the very jaws of death?? Montross, the greatest science officer in the galaxy, too old?!
MONTROSSYou young fool! Montross suddenly ignites in a rage and swings his left forearm down with a mighty blow across the metal rail of the gantry. The old science officer's forearm cracks in two, spewing forth wires, and many fine multi-colored electronic components. The artificial limb flops lifelessly to Montross Holdaack's side. MONTROSS (CONT'D) You know, there is nothing left but my head and right arm... I've lost too much, Han...I'm dying...I'm dying this time... I'm losing control. Han bows his head in sorrow and embarrassment for one of the greatest warriors in the galaxy and a dear friend. HANTake it easy...I'm sorry. Don't be upset. What am I going to do? He's going to be here shortly wanting to go to Ogana! I'll just have to talk to Oxus myself. I'll take care of everything. We'll get you fixed up, once and for all.
47. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - ENTRY BAY The entry bay of the large starship is also the main lounge area of the ship. Two gruff and grisly pirates are playing a kind of dice game with thin little sticks. The larger and mangiest of the two slavering hulks,
JABBA THE HUTT by name, throws his dice at Chewbacca. JABBAI told you not to bring that thing on board again...Where have you been anyway...Captain wants the conveyor system extended...and I notice you haven't turned around those punch chips yet. What are we keeping you on board for anyway? Chewbacca slinks back outside the starship as Han helps the still slightly crazed Montross aboard the craft. Han generally ignores Jabba's tirade. HANWhere is everybody, anyway?
JABBAThey took the shipment of "Covina" to Gordon. But the captain is still here, so get to work or I'll snap you myself. HANWhere is he? JABBAOn the bridge, I think. I wouldn't go looking for trouble, though...He'll sting you good if you bother him. The second pirate notices Montross's arm, as Han sets him on a bench near the door.
PIRATEMontross fall apart again?
JABBAWhat's this ship coming to? We've got a good-for-nothing "cabin boy" and a disintegrating science officer.
48. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT The cockpit of the starship is crowded with a haphazard array of computer switches and monitors. Dozing in one of the two pilot chairs is CAPTAIN OXUS, a man of the grossest dimensions. His scarred face is a grim testimonial to his prowess as a pirate and a killer. The young Han Solo enters the cabin and stands staring at the evil galactic buccaneer -- the terror of the Outland territories -- so peaceful, such an easy prey. Han doesn't know quite what to do, so he starts to leave. Oxus opens one eye. He is in a drunken stupor. OXUSWhat have you been up to, boy?? You finished with the conveyor system? Bring me some more "Auraspice"! Han bows low before his master, then moves down the narrow passageway to a small closet, where he takes out a cup of silver powder and returns to Oxus.
HANYour spice; sir...Ah, sir, may I... OXUSYou blasted, good-for-nothing. Go fetch my tallock! And be quick. Now get out of here! He takes a mighty swing at the boy, but his inebriated condition causes the blow to ricochet off, and slam against a locker panel. Han rushes out of the room. 49. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - HALLWAY Han is angry with himself for not being able to tell the captain about Luke. He kicks the door to a locker in disgust. Suddenly an idea comes to him and he rushes back down the hallway.
50. EXT. MOS EISLEY SPACEPORT - DOCKING PORT 23 Luke and the two robots approach the entry bay of the giant starship, and are intercepted by the giant Wookiee, Chewbacca. LUKEGreetings! For such a young captain, your master has a mighty ship. Will you store our bags? Luke hands the huge funny creature his back-pack, but the Wookiee doesn't take it. Instead, Chewbacca refuses to let them pass and carries on about something in his harsh native tongue. Luke doesn't understand.
LUKE (CONT'D) I don't get it?? Are we to wait here, or what? Threepio, what's he talking about? The gleaming bronze robot jabbers away in strange animal sounds to the towering monster. They carry on an animated argument, until it appears Threepio gets in the last word. THREEPIOWell, master Luke, sir. It appears we must wait out here for the captain to ready the ship. I told him we weren't accustomed to waiting around on gantries; and if you beg my pardon, sir, for the price of this trip they should have picked you up in an environment capsule, complete with dancing "Yonnas". 51. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - HALLWAY Han and Montross are busy prying loose a control panel in a forward corridor of the ship. The cover falls to the floor with a loud clang, and the young cabin boy looks around to see if anyone heard. Montross takes a small metal bar and jams it between two circuits. Sparks fly and a small puff of smoke issues from the panel. He quickly replaces the cover and Han heads back toward the captain's bridge.
52. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT The cockpit area of the starship is a cacophony of warning alarms and flashing lights. The captain clumsily works at the control console in a vain attempt to figure out what is going on. Han enters carrying a long gray cloak. HANYour tallock, sir. What's wrong?? Oxus stumbles around in a drunken stupor. OXUSSomething's fouled up on this blasted board...
HANThe reactor's wild! It's way over a thousand. We'd better get out. OXUSThat's impossible! I may be under the influence, but the reactor couldn't have gotten loose...Wait a minute. A new shrill alarm begins to sound, as Han grabs the groggy old pirate and drags him out of the cabin. 53. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - ENTRY BAY Han and the lumbering pirate captain charge into the entry bay, almost knocking down Jabba the Hutt.
JABBAWhat's going on? HANSabotage! The reactor's have gone wild. Get out. Get out...Wait, I forgot about Montross... Jabba the Hutt and the other pirate stumble over each other, racing for the exit. Little Artoo scoots out of the way just as the two pirates rush past the group and into the space station main building. They are quickly followed by the wobbly captain. Luke watches the trio with puzzled amazement as the blast door slides closed behind them. Chewbacca gets a message on his belt com-link, and gestures to Luke that they should enter the deserted starship. Luke and the two robots reluctantly follow the giant Wookiee into the entry bay. Chewbacca pushes a button, and the main hatch slams shut. The alarms continue to ring. LUKEWhere's the captain? Threepio repeats the question in Wookieese and gets a short, rather menacing answer from the creature, who points to the high-backed seat of the lounge area. THREEPIOHe wants us to sit down, sir... If we don't mind. The captain will be with us shortly. The alarm signal is suddenly cut short. 54. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT The one armed Montross sits in the pilot seat pushing buttons and switches. Han rushes in and sits in the co-pilot seat. He is laughing. HANAlarms secure...ready for takeoff...let's get out of here before they figure out what happened. MONTROSSYes sir, captain. Montross laughs heartily as he pulls back on the throttle. The ship shudders as it lifts off.
55. INT. DOCKING PORT 23 - MAIN BUILDING Captain Oxus and Jabba the Hutt stand before a large window overlooking the docking port. Oxus is furious, ranting and raving. Jabba stands dumbfoundedly, with his mouth hanging open. The ship quickly disappears into the vastness of the night sky. 56. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING Han sits back in the huge co-pilot's chair and puts his feet up on the control console. HANSometimes I amaze myself... He chuckles. The surface of Utapau slowly drifts out of view of the cockpit windows and is replaced by a sparkling carpet of stars. MONTROSSAre you even a little worried he might hunt you down?
HANWell, Montross my friend, it's a big universe. And after we cash in on this young noble, we'll head for Ophichi or one of the other southern systems. He'll be a long time coming there! MONTROSSSometimes you amaze me, also. They both laugh. Little Artoo appears momentarily in the doorway, makes a few beeping remarks, then scurries away. In a few moments, Luke appears at the doorway.
LUKEThis is a terrific ship! How did you ever come by it? Montross gives Han a sly smile, as Artoo appears timidly behind his master. HANIt's a long story...I suggest you relax. We'll be going into a Hyper-skip soon, and should reach Ogana Major by 0300, two para-marks from now. 57. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - SLEEP AREA Han stands nervously waiting for Chewbacca, who is looking through Luke's things as the young adventurer sleeps. The huge furry creature is very quiet as he moves about the cabin. He picks up Luke's gun belt containing the hidden Kiber Crystal. He takes the belt and a pouch to his waiting master, and quietly whispers to him. Han begins to search the belt. HANHe must have SOMETHING of value. Are you sure you looked through everything? His father had better be loaded. He drops the belt and pouch in disgust.
58. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING IN SPACE Han enters and flops down in the co-pilot's seat. Montross is busy studying the solar system with the ship's scanner. HANWe've been through everything twice. He has nothing with him. I guess we'll just have to wait until we get to his father. Montross looks up from the scanner with a worried look. MONTROSSI've scanned almost all the way to Ogana Major, and there is no blockade! I don't get it. Do you think we should continue? HANSure, why not?...but carefully.
59. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - LOUNGE AREA Luke, Chewbacca and the two robots sit around a lighted table covered with many small metal figures. Each side of the table has a small computer monitor embedded in it. Chewbacca seems very pleased with himself as he rests his lanky fur-covered arms over his head. Luke rests his chin in his hands as he ponders a weighty problem on the board. Finally the stubby Artoo reaches up and moves one of the figures on the board. A sudden frown crosses Chewbacca's face and he begins yelling some gibberish at Artoo. Threepio intercedes on behalf of his small companion and begins to argue with the huge Wookiee.
LUKELet him have it...You're winning anyway...It doesn't make any difference. THREEPIOYes sir, but it's the principle of the thing. A small tone sounds and the com-link crackles to life. HAN'S VOICELuke, could you come up here! LUKEI'm on my way.
60. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING IN SPACE The cockpit is alive with humming meters and softly buzzing read-outs. Montross and Han are busy at the controls. MONTROSSIt checks out again. There is no mistake about it. Luke enters; his boyish enthusiasm is working overtime. LUKEWe must be just about there! Both Han and Montross are rather grim-faced.
HANWe ARE there...Ogana Major has been destroyed... LUKEWhat! What are you saying? Luke moves close and begins to search the viewing monitors. HANWhat's left of it is contaminated. That's it there...look at those radiation read-outs!...and the blockade is gone. Now what's going on? Luke sits down in a state of shock. He stares blankly at the monitor read-outs. Han is very angry at this turn of events.
MONTROSSI don't care how large the Imperial fleet has become, it couldn't have done this. Half the planet is torn away. It would have taken a thousand ships with a lot more fire power than I've ever seen...very fascinating. HANWell, I don't like it. Where is your father? LUKEHe must be dead...All this way and he's probably dead... HANWho's going to pay us?? The young pirate captain grabs Luke and holds him high against the cockpit wall. HAN (CONT'D) I'm beginning not to like you! Luke clears his throat and snaps out of his depression. LUKEDeak! Deak would know...my brother. HANWhat? LUKEMy brother could help us. He would know what to do. HANCould he pay us?
LUKEHe might know what happened. He's ...ah...in a bit of a fix. I'm sure he would be most grateful if we helped him. Han puts the boy down and a scheme formulates in Luke's mind. LUKE (CONT'D) If my father is dead, then everything is his...but it's no use. We could never get to him...it's impossible. HANNothing's impossible. Not for me anyway. Tell me where he is and we'll go there. LUKEHe's being held prisoner...You couldn't help him...No one could, not even a Jedi Bendu knight could... HANI could. Where is he? LUKEAlderaan. The word hits Han and Montross like a mad bantha; but Han recovers nicely, and thinks about it for a moment. MONTROSSWell, he's right, you can't go there. HANWhy not? The fact that no one in their right mind would ever try might make it easy...You're sure your brother would make it worth our while? LUKEBeyond your wildest dreams... HANYou have no fear of Alderaan? LUKEAs you said, the fact that no one would venture there voluntarily makes it easy.
MONTROSSYou boys have the space giddies... but calculating the probabilities, you may have something...
HANChart a new course... LUKEBoy, will Deak be surprised to see us. Montross gives the two boys a doubtful glance.
61. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - LOUNGE AREA Han, Chewbacca, Luke, and the robots sit around a large table in the lounge area of the starship. Han and Luke are deep in thought. Luke sits up. LUKEI thought starcaptains were supposed to be clever. I thought you did this kind of thing all the time... HANWell, I do, of course. But Alderaan...even I've never been there. When I said I'd take you...I thought you already had a plan... Montross enters the lounge area and sits down. He flexes his new left arm which was just replaced.
MONTROSSThis new arm is a lot stiffer than the last one. They just don't make these things the way they used to...We've reached the first perimeter of Alderaan. What's the next move? Everyone is lost in deep and perplexing thoughts. He is slightly amused at the young adventurer's dilemma. HANI guess there is only one thing to do, and that is to fly right in there and take over...we can do it.
MONTROSSWhoa there...May I make a suggestion to the captain? There is only one way into Alderaan, and N0 way out. It's an island city suspended in a sea of cirrus methane. The dungeons have triple guards, scramble scanners, gas locks, and every sector is isolated...and most important, it's the dwelling place of the Bogan Master: Prince Valorum. This venture of yours is sheer madness; but I have calculated the probabilities, and there might be a way. HANHow?? MONTROSSIt is a rather complex plan; but it has the greatest probability of working...Go to the library, get all the tapes on Imperial procedure...You will have to learn the... HANWe're going to get in by studying procedures?? I don't like it.
MONTROSSAll right then, we'll use your plan. Han slumps in his seat with a dejected look. HANAll right, get the tapes. MONTROSS...and we're going to need the space on all of our scan-shielded compartments and lockers. HANWhat do you want with our scanproof lockers?
62. EXT. SPACE AROUND PLANET ALDERAAN The long ornate pirate starship approaches the gray gaseous planet of Alderaan. The ship is not propelled, but simply drifts crab-like toward the planet. As it approaches the surface, huge billowing clouds extend out like menacing tentacles. The peacefulness of this nebulous idyll is broken by the increasing wail of ion engines. Suddenly, four sleek space fighters from the Imperial third fleet burst from the huge cumulus range. The craft are small cylindrical power shells dominated by two huge solar fins. They are flying in a tight formation; then two bank steeply and head toward the drifting starship.
63. INT. IMPERIAL FIGHTER - TRAVELING The Imperial fighters are four-man craft crammed with sophisticated electronic weaponry. The PILOT and GUNNERY OFFICER sit side by side, surrounded by lighted read-outs. They wear the gleaming black uniforms of the dungeon guards. PILOTNo reply on any circuits...She appears to be drifting; but you'd better give her a blast anyway. Two laser bolts scream past the cockpit and explode in front of the drifting pirate ship.
PILOT (CONT'D) Kuro one to AD four. We have what appears to be a drifting TDFI04 which does not respond to warnings. No life forms appear on the scanner...Escape pods four, seven, and Oh three have been jettisoned...Should we destroy her or attempt salvage? She looks in good shape. ...Right...Will do.
64. EXT. SPACE AROUND PLANET ALDERAAN The two tiny fighter craft orbit in front of the pirate starship as small plates shoot from their fins and attach themselves to the larger craft. Lines pull taut and the pirate starship is towed among the towering gray clouds by the two little Imperial space fighters. The second two space fighters take up position behind the starship and follow it in.
65. INT. IMPERIAL FIGHTER - TRAVELING The pilot is cold and professional as his craft closes in on the starship. The positions of the ships are displayed on a read-out. The pilot gives the gunner a quick look before he flips his sun shield over his eyes. PILOTIt appears to be a Corellian Gypsy vessel, as close as I can make out...Still no life forms, no contamination. Life systems still functioning... they simply abandoned her for some reason. We'll bring her in through the main forward bay. Is that satisfactory? COM-LINKSecurity is standing by. Kuro one, you have clearance.
66. EXT. PLANET ALDERAAN - CLOUD SEA The towering white oxide clouds pass, revealing the Imperial city of Alderaan. The magnificent domed and gleaming city is perched, mushroom-like, on a tall spire which disappears deep into the misty surface of the planet. The little procession of spaceships speeds toward the city.
67. INT. MAIN FORWARD BAY - SPACEPORT - IMPERIAL CITY OF ALDERAAN The pirate starship rests in a huge hangar bay which dwarfs the Corellian craft! Hundreds of troops work their way toward the craft under the cover of reflective shields. A battalion commander and two guards edge their way toward the main hatch. One of the guards aims a long laser rifle at the hatch. A commotion erupts behind the troops, and they turn to see two SITH KNIGHTS striding into the huge spaceport hangar. The two Sith knights appear slightly amused at the cautious stormtroopers. The battalion commander bows before the dark and fearsome Sith knights. FIRST KNIGHTChief, get your men back. Let us check this out. (to the other Sith) These MANTHAS troops are getting far too timid. The Sith knights boldly approach the ship and swing open the hatch. They start to enter the ship when a loud clanking sound, somewhat like a wrench being dropped down an air shaft, startles them and they jump back. The Sith warriors ignite their laser swords simultaneously, and take a defensive stance. The hundred or so troopers duck behind their chrome shields and direct their laser weapons at the open hatch. A few more sounds are heard from within the giant starship. The tension becomes almost palpable. The gangling, bronze Threepio pops his "Art Deco" head out of the hatchway. THREEPIOHello! The two Sith knights give each other rather puzzled looks. THREEPIO (CONT'D) I'm See Threepio, Human Cyborg relations. It appears my masters have departed, leaving me with their abandoned starship. My only problem is that the operation of Astro-vehicles is not within my capacity... The first Sith knight turns back to the battalion commander. FIRST KNIGHTChief, hold this thing for inspection, and check out the rest of the ship. I think you have picked up a piece of drift junk. Salvage what you can, and atomize the rest. Next time a little more bravery, commander. WAIT before you call us. The Sith knights leave the hangar as the troops shuffle on board the deserted vessel. Threepio seems confused as troops rush around, completely ignoring him.
68. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - LOUNGE AREA The troops search the ship with small hand scanners. The commander and his aid enter the lounge. They are approached by a slender, weasel-like OFFICER. OFFICERThere are no other "droids", sir. The ship isn't much -- a rag-tag, custom-built job...might be worth some study... A TROOPER approaches the group. TROOPERAll clear, sir. There is a row of supply lockers we couldn't get into. COMMANDERLet the scavenger crews take care of that. Post a guard, and send the men back. Keep the "droid" here with the ship; we'll let the scavenger crew take care of him, too. The troops begin to file out of the ship. 69. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - HALLWAY A lone trooper runs through the hallway heading for the exit. In a few moments, all is quiet. The muffled sounds of a distant officer giving orders finally fade. A sharp tapping can be heard very near, and a panel on a row of low cabinets crashes to the floor. Han Solo's head pokes out of the hole and looks around the hallway. He then pulls himself out of his cramped quarters and struts around, stretching his legs. A second locker breaks open and Luke emerges. Chewbacca pokes his furry head out of the first locker and Han tells him the way is clear. HANThis is ridiculous. I tell you it's not going to work. Montross is crazed half the time... Luke straightens himself out as Montross appears in his locker.
70. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - LOUNGE AREA Luke, Han, Montross, Chewbacca, and little Artoo quietly make their way down a hallway to the lounge area, where four Imperial troopers stand guard. Luke peeks around the doorway, then whispers to Han. LUKEThere are only four. Remember: Quietly, and don't mess up the uniforms... Han repeats this to Chewbacca and they both grin with excited, determined looks on their faces. Luke gives the signal as the Wookiee and the young Corellian pirate charge past him with their laser swords held high, screaming like wild banshees. Luke is somewhat confused by the attack. The yelling and the clash of swords echo throughout the ship. Montross holds his ears. Artoo runs and joins up with the shackled Threepio. 71. INT. MAIN BAY GANTRY - CONTROL TOWER In the main control tower, next to the starship, a gantry officer looks up from his desk, as if he hears something. He turns to an aide who is busy readjusting a monitor. GANTRY OFFICERDid you hear that? The aide shakes his head; but the officer, convinced that he heard something, leaves the control tower and heads for the pirate ship.
72. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - LOUNGE AREA The gantry officer cautiously enters the pirate starship with his laser pistol drawn. Everything is quiet in the lounge area. Two guards sit at a table with a third standing over them. The fourth guard approaches the gantry officer. GUARDYou have business here? The guard is Han Solo. He struggles to hide a large blood stain under his right arm. OFFICERI thought I heard something down here. HANAre you sure it was from down here? We didn't hear anything... The gantry officer shakes his head at the puzzlement. OFFICER Well, I guess not...but keep your eyes open... The guard standing at the table is Luke; and as he turns to glance at the gantry officer, one of the guards sitting at the table topples over and lands with his face on the floor. The gantry officer raises his pistol and immediately becomes suspicious. An embarrassed grin breaks out on Luke and Han's faces. With a swiftness rivaling a Jedi prince, Han knocks the gun from the gantry officer's hand and decks him. Luke runs over to help Han, and Montross, Chewbacca and the robots rush in. LUKEDon't mess him up! Han starts to change jackets with the gantry officer. HANI've just been promoted. MONTROSSAll right now, you don't have much time. I hope you can remember everything. LUKEWe'll be back before you know it. HANJust have the ship ready. Luke binds the huge Chewbacca with electronic cuffs. The Wookiee has a worried and slightly frightened look on his face. Han reassures him, straightens his jacket and they start off into the giant Imperial city of Alderaan. Han and Luke walk on either side of the giant Chewbacca and Artoo and Threepio reluctantly follow along behind. Montross stays aboard the starship and carefully and quietly closes the hatch. 73. INT. MAIN BAY GANTRY - CONTROL TOWER A lone aide is quietly working on a monitor when Chewbacca, the huge Wookiee, appears in the doorway with a bone-chilling howl. A look of surprise, awe, and sheer dread crosses the aide's face as he stumbles over his tools. The Wookiee flattens him with one blow. Threepio and Artoo waddle into the room, followed by Han and Luke guarding the rear. LUKEMust he howl so? Every Sith in the city will know we're here. HANGood! I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around. Threepio and Artoo look over the control panel, until Artoo finds something which gets him excited. THREEPIOWe've found it, sir. Bless the maker, this control board has one. Han and Luke rush over to the robots. Chewbacca busies himself with hanging the control aide by his toes. LUKEPlug him in. Let's see what we get. Artoo punches his claw arm into a computer socket, and the vast Imperial brain network comes to life, feeding information to the little robot. After a few moments, he beeps something to Threepio. THREEPIOLevel five, Detention block A-23, cell 2187... He's still alive... but his condition is reported as critical. LUKEAll right, wait for us here... Send feed-back into the control sensors in that Detention block only. Han puts the electronic bonds back on Chewbacca and the trio starts out the door. THREEPIOPardon me for asking, sir...but, ah...what are we to do if someone should discover us here? HANHope they don't have blasters. THREEPIOThat isn't very reassuring.
74. INT. DETENTION AREA - ELEVATOR TUBE - IMPERIAL CITY OF ALDERAAN Han and Luke try to look inconspicuous, as they wait for a vacuum elevator to arrive. Troops and bureaucrats bustle about ignoring the trio completely; only a few give the giant Wookiee a curious glance. Finally, a small elevator arrives, and the trio enter. A bureaucrat races to get aboard also, but is signaled away by Han. The door to the pod-like vehicle slides closed, and it takes off through a vacuum tube. LUKEThis is the PT-27 unit that ceases operation if there is any kind of alarm. He rubs his hand across a series of small holes. LUKE (CONT'D) Gas...Montross was definitely right. If they discover us, we'll never get out. Han gives him a skeptical look. 75. INT. DETENTION AREA - DUNGEON The giant Wookiee and his two guards enter the old, gray security station. Guards and laser gates are everywhere. Han whispers to Luke under his breath. HANThis isn't going to work. LUKEWhy didn't you say so before. HANI think I did. A tall, grim-looking officer approaches the trio. OFFICERWhat code is this? LUKEI've got it here somewhere... It's SPT 188544. You can check it through the...ahh, oh yes, lex-321. OFFICERIt will take a while -- the big mode is acting up...getting feedback from somewhere. The officer goes back to his console and begins to punch in the information. There are only three other troopers in the area. Luke and Han survey the situation, checking all of the alarms, laser gates and camera eyes. Han unfastens one of Chewbacca's electronic cuffs and shrugs to Luke. LUKEMay THE FORCE OF OTHERS be with us. Suddenly, Chewbacca throws up his hands and lets out with one of his ear-piercing howls. He grabs Han's laser sword and ignites it, pushing Han against the wall. HANLook out! He's loose! The startled guards are momentarily dumbfounded. Luke and Han have already pulled out their laser pistols and are blasting away at the terrifying Wookiee. Their barrage of laser fire misses Chewbacca, but hits the camera eyes, laser gate controls, and the Imperial guards. The officer is the last to fall under the laser fire just as he starts to push the alarm system. Luke rushes over to the com-link system, which is screeching questions about what is going on. Han and Chewbacca disappear down one of the sub-hallways. LUKEA Wookiee broke loose up here, but we've got him under control. There is a lot of damage, four casualties. The main door jammed. Better keep the rescue squad away from here, we've got some fires... He blasts some of the furniture with his laser pistol and it bursts into flames, creating a lot of smoke.
76. INT. DUNGEON - CELL ROW Han and Chewbacca race down the rows of low, stone-cell doors. Han stops before cell 2187 and yells something to Chewbacca, who covers his face as the young pirate blasts the door away with his laser pistol. When the smoke clears, Han looks in the cell and an expression of horror crosses his face. HAN"Holy Maker" No! Suspended inside the cell by invisible rays, a bloody and mutilated Deak Starkiller hangs upside down. A strange yellow glow radiates from his eyes. Chewbacca rushes into the cell past the dazed Han. The Wookiee yells something and Han comes to, firing his pistol at a small control box in the wall. The unconscious Deak drops like a rock into the giant Wookiee's arms. Chewbacca slings him over his shoulders, and joins Han in the hallway.
77. INT. DETENTION AREA - DUNGEON Smoke fills the small control center as Luke fiddles with the wires on the control board. A series of explosions at the main doorway knock a hole in the wall through which several Imperial troops begin to emerge. Luke fires his laser pistol at them through the smoke and flames. He turns and runs down a sub-hallway, stopping only for a moment on the far side of the passageway to lock on the laser gate "cutters". He takes a small com-link transmitter from his belt and speaks into it. LUKEC3PO - C3P0 -- switch off emergency communications network. We're on our way. Monitor what you can...What was that, I didn't copy... 78. INT. MAIN BAY GANTRY - CONTROL T0WER Threepio paces the control center as little Artoo beeps and whistles a blue streak. Threepio yells into the small comlink transmitter. THREEPIOI said, all systems have been alerted to your presence, sir. I respectfully suggest you return at once... The transmitter squawks a short reply, and Threepio peeks out the tower window at the starship. All is quiet. He then moves to the door and it slides open a crack. Several troops rush past, yelling and shouting orders. Threepio slams the door shut, and pushes the lock lever. THREEPIO (CONT'D) Oh no! 79. INT. DUNGEON - CELL ROW Han and Chewbacca rush toward the detention control complex, but are met by Luke running toward them. LUKEThere's no going back that way. Luke notices his mutilated brother draped over Chewbacca's shoulders. His mouth drops open in stunned shock. HANHe's still with us, but there ain't much left of him. Your family must have something the Empire wants awfully bad. The trio turns and runs down the cell block passageway. They reach a small grate in the wall, covering a passage that leads down into a deep darkness. LUKEThis way. It might lead out of the cell block. Luke and Han pull up the rusty grate, and they disappear into the black passageway. 80. INT. DUNGEON - PASSAGEWAY Han leads the group down the ever-darkening, narrow passageway. Their footsteps echo on the cold stone steps of the winding, descending stairway. Han and Luke switch on small lights in their gunbelts. The rhythmic marching of stormtroopers is heard behind them. Han stops the group before an intersecting hallway. The marching troops seem to be getting louder; muffled voices can be heard. LUKEThey're right behind us. Which way? HANYour guess is as good as mine. Maybe we'd better keep going down until we reach the docking level... They continue down the eerie, slimy corridor that gets narrower and narrower as they descend into the bowels of the city. 81. INT. MAIN BAY GANTRY - CONTROL TOWER A loud buzzer sounds throughout the control tower. Threepio rushes to the computer console. THREEPIOAll right, all right, I'm going to answer it...just don't blame me if we get caught. He switches on the control com-link. COM-LINKThere is a problem on the level five detention area. Double alert. THREEPIOConfirmed, and out. (to Artoo) Do you think they'll believe that? 82. INT. DUNGEON - PASSAGEWAY The passageway has gotten so small that Han, Luke and Chewbacca must walk sideways. Suddenly the way opens up to a wide, low ceiling corridor that is very dark and dank. HANWe made it...Hurry! The group runs along the foul-smelling passageway. LUKEI think they've stopped following us. HANI wonder why?...It's sure getting hot down here. Where do you think this leads? LUKEIt's some kind of vent system. A loud, horrible, inhuman moan works its way up from the far end of the passageway and stops the group dead in its tracks. They exchange rather worried looks. HANI think I know why they stopped following us... LUKEWhich direction is it? Chewbacca jabbers something to Han. HANChewbacca says there are legends of the Sith keeping DAI NOGAS in the belly of the city...Dai Nogas are not to be trifled with. LUKEWhich way should we go? HANThey are not natural creatures. They are very large; but it could be anywhere. There is no hope for us back there, so I guess we should push ahead. They start forward; but the giant Wookiee stops and howls something at Han. The young captain talks to the frightened creature and eventually calms him down, and they slowly continue forward. Barely perceivable, a dim light glimmers at the far end of the hallway. LUKELook, a light, head for it! The group picks up speed as it nears the light. Suddenly, a huge form blocks out the light, and Chewbacca lets out a terrified howl and begins to back away. Han and Luke stand fast with their laser pistols drawn. Han calls back to the Wookiee, who begins to cower near one of the damp walls. HANGuns are no good. Only a Jedi, strong with the FORCE, can stop it. The huge shape, breathing loud and deep, sloshes forward. LUKEMaybe we could out-flank it? HANThe passageway is too small...We would have to distract it with something. The two boys begin to slowly walk backwards as the horrible DAI NOGA begins its cumbersome advance. LUKEGet Chewbacca, try to get around it. I'll draw it away. HANAre you sure?? These things aren't natural. LUKEI'll listen to your plan... Han turns and rushes back to Chewbacca, who is huddled against the wall, with the unconscious Deak lying by his side. The Wookiee is shaking and wailing like a small child. In the thin light provided by the small door at the end of the passageway, the faint outline of the gruesome Dai Noga can be perceived. Luke, with shaking hands, fires directly at the center of the beast. His laser bolt passes through the huge creature and explodes against a far wall. The light from the blast reveals a little more of the thing, which is something like a cross between a huge spider and a giant squid. Han has blindfolded Chewbacca, and attempts to lead the Wookiee carrying Deak around the terrifying Dai Noga. They edge their way along the corridor wall as Luke fires a second blast at the slime. The Dai Noga lets out with a horrible moan and lumbers towards Luke with a new vigor. Luke backs away firing as he goes. Han and Chewbacca make it to the door and watch the Dai Noga move after Luke. HANWe're clear! I'll distract him. He fires a shot at the monster, but it continues after Luke. LUKEShoot above him! Han fires again, this time above the creature, knocking rocks and debris on top of him. He turns to face his new enemy, enabling Luke to creep around the Dai Noga and join Han and Chewbacca. The spider-like monster lets out a moan and leaps at the two youths. Chewbacca has worked loose the iron grate covering the doorway, and the group tumbles into a dusty, unused hallway. 83. INT. DUNGEON - HALLWAY The Dai Noga bangs against the opening and a long slimy tentacle works its way out of the doorway searching for a victim. Han aims his pistol. LUKENo, wait!! They'll hear... Han fires at the doorway, creating an avalanche of rubble which buries the monster. The noise of the blast echoes relentlessly throughout the passageway. Luke simply shakes his head at the young captain. They get up and start down the passageway. Han is clearly bothered by Luke's low opinion of his actions. HANI don't care, I want them to find us...I need a good fight... I could polish off a whole squad, like that! He snaps his fingers as Luke gives him a skeptical look. 84. INT. MAIN BAY GANTRY - CONTROL TOWER Threepio nervously paces the control room. THREEPIOYou mean they've calculated that the escape has something to do with the ship! Then they'll come up here, too...Oh me! We'll all be atomized. Where could they have disappeared to? 85. INT. SPACEPORT - PASSAGEWAY Luke and Han stand before a bay window overlooking the pirate starship. They watch as a platoon of Imperial stormtroopers take up guard positions outside the craft. An officer attempts to open the hatch and enter the ship, but is unsuccessful. He exits the docking bay in a hurry. LUKEHe'll be heading for the control tower. Come on... The two boys rush down the hallway, followed by the lumbering Chewbacca carrying Deak. They round a corner and run smack dab into twelve Imperial stormtroopers heading toward them. Both groups are taken by surprise, and stop in their tracks. Before even thinking, Han draws his laser sword and charges the troops, yelling at the top of his lungs. The troops are startled by this assault and start to back off. Han manages to cut several down before the rest flee in panic. Pleased with his prowess, Han starts after them, yelling back to Luke as he goes. HAN Get Chewbacca to the ship! LUKEWait, where are you going? Come back here! Han has already rounded a corner and does not hear. Luke rushes Chewbacca to the doorway at the end of the hallway. He motions the Wookiee to go on.
86. INT. SPACEPORT - SUB-HALLWAY Han chases the ten stormtroopers down a long sub-hallway. He is yelling and brandishing his laser sword. The troops reach a dead end and are forced to turn and fight. Han stops a few feet from them and assumes a defensive position. He is ready to cut them down. The troops begin to ignite their laser swords; soon all ten troopers are moving into an attack position in front of the lone star pirate. Han's determined look begins to fade as the troops begin to advance. Luke runs down the sub-hallway in a last-ditch attempt to save his bold friend. Suddenly he hears the clamor of laser swords and yelling. Around the corner shoots Han Solo, pirate extraordinaire, running for his life, followed by a host of furious stormtroopers. Luke turns and starts running the other way, also. They run around several corners, and the troops drop a ways behind. Luke squeezes down a side passage and signals for Han to follow.
87. INT. SPACEPORT - NARROW PASSAGE Luke and Han run down the narrow passageway looking for an exit. The stormtroopers can be heard barking orders as they follow the duo. An officer at the far end of the hallway spots them and fires a laser blast at them, but misses. They reach a complex blast-shield door which they attempt to open by pushing a series of buttons on a lock switch. The several layers of hatches and locks slowly peel away. Han returns the laser fire of the gathered stormtroopers at the end of the hallway. The signal on their belt comlinks begins to buzz. Luke takes one in hand and gets a jumble of excited Wookiee gibberish. He hands the small com-link receiver to Han, who continues his barrage of the troopers. LUKEIt's for you. Han talks to the Wookiee and seems to be in some kind of an argument.
88. INT. SPACEPORT - MAIN FORWARD BAY Chewbacca is crouched behind some supply canisters near the main entrance to the spaceport bay. Stormtroopers march to and fro in front of the pirate starship. The giant Wookiee whispers into the com-link. Deak lies in a heap at his feet. Chewbacca ducks lower as several troops stop almost on top of him. He puts the com-link back on his belt and draws Deak close to him. 89. INT. SPACEPORT - NARROW PASSAGE Han gives the com-link back to Luke. HANChewbacca can't make it to the ship without help. The final hatch starts to swing open behind them. LUKEThen let's go! They turn and start into the main spaceport causeway. A few feet into the hallway and the boys stop short. Two evil, BLACK KNIGHTS OF THE SITH stride toward them. Luke turns and runs back into the narrow passageway. LUKE (CONT'D) Come on back. We'll not be stopping them... Han jumps back into the narrow passageway and Luke pulls the main blast-shield lock switch. The five layers of door instantly slam shut. HANNow what?? Luke shrugs his shoulders. The stormtroopers renew their assault.
90. INT. SPACEPORT - MAIN CAUSEWAY The two Sith knights stop before the huge blast-shield door. Stormtroopers take up position behind them. One of the knights turns to the first officer of the guard. SITH KNIGHTMove your man back. The troops scurry out of the way, as the Sith knights raise their arms over their heads, creating a powerful force field. 91. INT. SPACEPORT - NARROW PASSAGE The mighty blast-shield door bulges under the pressure of the Sith para-force. Luke spots a small waste receptacle on the wall. He fires a few shots at the assembled stormtroopers at the far end of the corridor, and moves to the garbage chute. He motions for Han to follow, but the young starcaptain is sitting in a corner staring blankly at the bulging door. Luke runs back to him. LUKEWhat is it? HANIt's no use...we're lost. LUKENo, no, there's a debris chute. It's the Bogan force making you feel that way. Don't give up hope...fight it! HANIt's no use, it's no use. The giant hinge bolts on the blast-shield door begin to pop as the force of the Sith knights grows stronger. Luke fires off a rapid series of shots and half-drags Han to the small grate in the wall. LUKEWell, we're going anyway. Think of good things. Drive the Bogan from your mind. Luke blasts the cover off the debris receptacle and shoves Han into the small opening. The giant blast door begins to smolder, creating a smoky cover for the boys to hide in. Luke frantically blasts away at the advancing stormtroopers, then climbs into the garbage chute and disappears.
99. INTERIOR SPACEPORT - GARBAGE ROOM Luke slides through a series of chutes until he winds up in a large room full of muck. Han is already stumbling around looking for an exit. He finds a small hatchway and struggles to get it open. HANThe blasted thing is vacuum-sealed. He draws his laser pistol and fires at the hatch. The laser bolt ricochets wildly around the small metal room. Both Luke and Han dive for cover in the garbage as the bolt explodes almost on top of them. Luke climbs out of the garbage with a rather grim look on his face. LUKEI'm glad to see the Bogan is no longer with you, but would you put that thing away or you're going to get us both killed. HAN (sarcastic) I'll leave it for you to open then. I'm just afraid we're going to have company soon... This is a brilliant escape. LUKEWell, it could be worse... Before Han can reply, the walls of the garbage receptacle begin to rumble and edge toward the adventurers. HANNow what?!? LUKETry to jam it with something. They place poles and long metal beams between the closing walls; but they are simply snapped and bent and the giant trash masher rumbles on. The situation doesn't look good. HANThis isn't working! LUKEWell then, think of something else! The room gets smaller and smaller, until it is only three feet wide. Garbage is snapping and popping as it is crushed by the relentless walls. Luke's com-link begins to buzz, and he pulls it off his belt. THREEPIOBegging your pardon, sir, but we are going to be unable to stay here much longer. Could you give us... LUKE(to Han) Threepio! That's it. The R-2 unit is still plugged into the control systems... (into the com-link) Threepio, listen to me. Have Artoo shut down all garbage chutes in the immediate connecting bays. I think we're on your level, but shut them off on the level above you, also...Quickly, shut them off! The rumbling walls begin to shake the room, and then they halt. Han breathes a sigh of relief. Luke goes over to the pressure hatch and scrapes some muck off a number. LUKE (CONT'D) Open the pressure maintenance hatch on unit 366117891... In a moment, the door pops open. LUKE (CONT'D) We're out. Disconnect Artoo and go back to the ship...Avoid the troops, if possible... THREEPIOI wish you were here, sir. LUKEWe'll be with you shortly. Instruct Montross to get the ship started.
93. INT. SPACEPORT - GANTRY HALLWAY Two Imperial officers stand in the hallway leading to the spaceport. One of the officers is a fleet admiral. They spot Artoo and Threepio waddling towards them and can hardly believe their eyes. OFFICERThat's them! Before they can do anything about it, Han and Luke jump the officers from behind, and put laser swords to their necks. The robots trundle up to them. THREEPIOThank goodness you're safe, sir. Did you find Master Deak? LUKEChewbacca's got him. Now if we can just get by those guards before the Sith arrive... THREEPIOThey won't be here too quickly, I don't think; we shut and sealed all alarm doors in the gantry. HAN (to the officer) Come on, boys!
94. INT. SPACEPORT - MAIN FORWARD BAY Han and Luke, dragging their hostages in front of them, enter the starship bay. Artoo and Threepio hurry in behind them. The twenty or so troops guarding the starship train their weapons on the group, but seeing an admiral held as hostage, hesitate. Chewbacca jumps out from behind the supply canisters, carrying Deak over his shoulder, and joins the group. They slowly make their way toward the starship, which is a medley of noises, as it prepares for take-off. The main hatch slides open. OFFICERForget about us -- fire on them. The troops aim their laser rifles. The admiral panics. ADMIRALNo, wait! Don't shoot! They'll not get away. They'll not get away. Don't shoot! The group enters the starship and the hatch slams shut.
95. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT Han slides into the co-pilot seat. Montross gives him a big smile. HANGet us out of here! Montross pulls back on the controls and the ship begins to move. The dull thud of laser bolts can be heard bouncing off the outside of the ship. MONTROSSThey aren't going to hurt us with those pea-shooters... HANThere are Sith out there. 96. EXT. IMPERIAL CITY OF ALDERAAN - MAIN STARSHIP BAY The starship lifts away from the starship bay and moves into the cloud sea of Alderaan. Troops continue to fire at the ship as it leaves. Too late, four Sith knights arrive. SITH KNIGHTThey'll not get far. 97. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING Han picks up the com-link. HANLuke, jettison the hostages and get to one of the gun ports. MONTROSSYou'd better get back there, too. Four TIE ships coming in at six o'clock. He points out the cockpit window to four small Imperial fighters banking in on their right side. HANWas this trip really necessary? MONTROSSThere's another bunch at two o'clock. We're into our power reserves, so take your time. Sing out if they get below us and I'll kick her around ...Now get going!
98. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - GUN PORTS - AFT SECTION - TRAVELING Luke is busy checking out one of the two main laser cannons mounted in large rotating bubble turrets. He adjusts his head-phones, and searches his electronic tracking screen for the Imperial fighters. MONTROSS (over head-phones) Here they come. Han jumps into the turret opposite Luke, and begins to strap himself in. The pirate starship shudders as the Imperial fighters open fire. Luke's turret swings around and he begins to return the fire. Moments later, Han lowers his glare reflector and with a burst of smoke and electrical charge also opens up on the enemy craft. One of the Imperial fighters is hit by a concentrated barrage and begins spinning out of control, until it finally explodes. Han gives Luke a victory wave, which Luke gleefully returns. Imperial fighters buzz about everywhere. The constant flashing of deflected laser bolts reflect in the interior of the turret bubble. Chewbacca sits in an aft turret, blazing away at the enemy craft. A huge explosion rocks the pirate ship and throws Artoo and Threepio crashing against a passageway wall. THREEPIOHere we go again. How did we get ourselves into this? We never seem to be in the right place. Over the com-link, Montross gives instructions as to the enemy formations. Several more Imperial ships explode and disappear from view. The pirate starship undergoes a great deal of punishment as the battle rages. HAN(into the com-link) We're beginning to come apart back here...the ship will not take much more of this... Several of the Imperial fighters concentrate their fire on a weakened port antenna and finally it explodes, opening a hole in one of the compartments and everything that isn't bolted down is sucked into outer space. Threepio and Artoo struggle to push a large cabinet in front of the hole.
99. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING The cockpit is alive with warning lights and buzzers, but Montross manages to keep things under control. He speaks into the com-link. MONTROSSYou're doing great, boys. There are only three or four of them left; but maybe it's time we showed them this isn't your regulation type F-888 cargo-trawler. Stand by for hyper-skip...and hope she holds together. Montross pulls back on several of the levers before him, and the ship surges away from the tiny fighters. The pirate starship races through the galaxy at an incredible speed; but it isn't long before the Imperial fighters catch up. MONTROSS (CONT'D) Take them now, boys. They shouldn't be maneuverable at this speed.
100. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - GUN PORTS - AFT SECTION - TRAVELING Luke, Han and Chewbacca fire away at the now stationary Imperial craft. One explodes, then another, and before long, they are all congratulating each other on their victory. DISSOLVE TO:
101. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - SLEEP AREA Luke kneels over what's left of his brother. Han stands in the doorway watching as Threepio applies some medication to the Jedi's gaping wounds. THREEPIOI don't know much more we can do for him, sir. These are spiritual wounds. The Bogan arts often run contrary to the ways of science... and logic. I can't help him. Only a Jedi can save him. LUKEHe's been trying to talk...He knows I'm here. He knows it's me. Han simply shakes his head at the situation. HANHe must have something of great value for them to do that to him. A lost spice mine, maybe? Well, whatever it is, he'd better regain consciousness 'cause I'm due my share...and I'm going to be very unhappy if he joins THE FORCE OF OTHERS before I get it... Han turns and leaves Luke and Threepio alone with Deak. LUKEYou've done well, Threepio...you have served both of us well beyond your programming. Leave me with him for awhile, would you? THREEPIOThank you, sir. Your kindness is greatly appreciated. That is, the compliment of compliments...But sir, you too ought to be getting some rest...What with that tempest we stirred up back there, I'm sure we aren't through this yet. LUKEI'll be along shortly. Threepio turns and leaves, locking the cabin door behind him. LUKE (CONT'D) I guess you couldn't have known, but Ogana Major is gone, destroyed by something -- I can't imagine what...I don t know about father -whether he's dead or alive -- or where to find him if he is alive. I didn't know what to do, so I came for you...You can't die, you just can't...What am I going to do? Just tell me what to do...Oh, Deak! Luke slumps over his brother and begins to weep quietly. Suddenly he remembers the Kiber Crystal hidden in his belt. He takes off his belt and fumbles to open the secret compartment. The buckle snaps open and a powerful clear light fills the darkened room. The Kiber Crystal's glow is almost blinding. Luke takes the supernatural gem and places it in his injured brother's hand. Luke suddenly sits bolt upright. A thought seems to come to him and he dashes out of the cabin.
102. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - LOUNGE AREA Luke bursts into the lounge area where Chewbacca and Han are sprawled across the chairs, sound asleep. They wake with a start. Chewbacca draws his laser sword. LUKEYavin's fourth moon. HANWhat's wrong? LUKEMy father's on the fourth moon of Yavin. We must go there immediately. HANWait a minute. Is your brother conscious? LUKENo... HANThen how do you know your father is on Yavin? I've had it with your adventures... Chewbacca blurts out a long line of gibberish to Han. HAN (CONT'D) Yeah, you're going to get us all killed! LUKEMy father is on the fourth moon of Yavin. Your only reward is there, also. Han thinks about this for a few moments, then throws up his hands. HANWell, we're already headed that way anyway. DISSOLVE TO:
103. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT Montross is upset and starts yelling at Han and Luke. MONTROSS...It's a wasteland. That system is way beyond the rim of the galaxy. LUKEBut we HAVE enough power to get there. Luke slams a connector panel on the computer console. HANJust relax for a second! MONTROSS(getting more excited) We have MORE than enough power to get there...But we don't have enough to get back, and there is no place to get power out there... We'd never get back. It's madness... Montross starts to bring his arm down across the computer console to make his point, but Han grabs it in time to keep it from being dashed to bits. LUKEIt's not a wasteland. There is an outpost, I tell you... A sing-song alarm goes off on the scanner console. Threepio, who has been quietly sitting in the co-pilot's seat all through the argument, interrupts his master. THREEPIOExcuse me, sir -- but we seem to be approaching another ship of some kind. Montross looks into the scanner display. MONTROSSI don't think that's a ship, although it moves like one... it's much too large. It's as big as a small moon. HANA station of some kind? MONTROSSI don't know. It's moving, but not very fast, and it's traveling in the same direction we are. HANMove off, let's go around it. We don't need any more trouble. MONTROSSI'd sure like to see what it is... HANWell, whatever it is, it means there must be some kind of a power depot out here, so we'll continue... DISSOLVE TO:
104. EXT. SPACE AROUND FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN The sleek pirate starship drifts into orbit around the emerald green, fourth moon of YAVIN. 105. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING Montross and Han are at the controls, as Luke rushes into the cockpit. MONTROSSWe pick up no significant life form concentrations down there. Certainly there's no outpost... LUKEIt could be shielded, could be anything. HANCould be nothing. LUKEMove into latitude sixty-one... A light begins to flash on the computer board. HANWhat's that? MONTROSSA signal beacon. Something is sending us coordinates... LUKEThat's it! Lock onto it! We made it...We made it! MONTROSSThere'll be no landing a ship this size on that terrain. We'll have to use the auxiliary units. LUKEGood. I'll help Chewbacca with Deak. Luke rushes out of the cockpit. MONTROSSThat moon or station -- or whatever it is -- is back on the scope. It's either following us here or was already coming here on its own. I'd better stay with the ship. HANYeah, I think you'd better. I don't like this. Track us if you can... 106. EXT. SPACE AROUND FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN Two small lifepods jettison away from the starship, and slowly drift toward the awesome, deep green surface of the moon. Retro-rockets automatically kick in and slow the pods. The two tiny craft break through some light cloud cover and land in the dense, steaming jungles of Yavin's fourth moon.
107. EXT. FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN - VINE JUNGLE One of the lifepods has come to rest in the middle of a bog. Han, Chewbacca, and Threepio emerge from the battered capsule as it slowly sinks into the murky swamp. HANMontross was sure right about this not being a fit place to land. We could have gotten KILLED coming through those trees...Well, let's find Luke... THREEPIOThey landed further south, I think. This is dangerous country. If you don't mind my saying so, I think we had better stay together. Chewbacca inspects a huge laser weapon and straps several power packs to his bandoleers. The group ventures into a forest of gargantuan trees shrouded in an eerie mist. The air is heavy with the fantastic cries of unimaginable creatures.
108. EXT. VINE JUNGLE Luke's lifepod is caught in the limbs of a huge tree. The fragile craft has been ripped in half by the crash landing. A glass-enclosed mummy case containing the wounded Deak Starkiller is securely strapped in what remains of the tiny lifepod. But his unconscious brother, Luke, hangs half out of the damaged craft. A two-foot high insect-like creature scoots down a branch and onto the back of the dormant warrior. The insect lets out a chilling hissing sound, and a slimy tube emerges from its hairy mouth, waking Luke. He opens his eyes, but doesn't move. He is immediately aware of the insect. Suddenly, with one quick blow, he knocks the creature against the side of the lifepod, and it is squashed lifeless. Luke is a little groggy, but he manages to climb out of the wreckage. He hears a frantic whistle, pathetic in its desperation. Luke looks around and spots Artoo hanging upside down, one of his three feet caught in a vine. Luke lifts the stubby robot out of his predicament and places him securely on a wide limb. Luke then attaches a thin cable from his utility belt to the tree trunk, and slides to the ground. Han and Threepio are waiting for him at the base of the huge tree. HANAre you all right? LUKEYeah, I think so. I'm going to need some help getting Deak down from there. Chewbacca emerges from the dense foliage and tells Han something. He tells Chewbacca to climb the tree and get Deak. HANHe says we're about a league off the coordinates. The going will be slow in this mess... LUKEThen we best get on with it.
109. EXT. VINE JUNGLE RIDGE Gruesome and unnatural sounds permeate this ghostly wasteland. The jungle is a strange and eerie, fog-laden purgatory. The group stops on a ridge overlooking the rebel outpost of MASASSI. All that can be seen of the fortress is a lone guard standing on a small pedestal jutting out above the dense jungle. Suddenly, three Aquillian rangers break out of the dark foliage and approach the group. Han and Chewbacca raise their weapons. HANHold! Who are you? Whom do you serve? One of the rangers strides forward, ignoring Han's laser pistol. He is a tall man; on his helmet is the crest of AQUILLAE. He advances until he is standing a few feet from Luke's weapon. ANTILLESI am Bail Antilles...I serve THE FORCE OF OTHERS...We are agents of the Starkiller...He has been expecting you... Han looks a little puzzled, but lowers his weapon and tells Chewbacca to do likewise. About two dozen rangers emerge from the brush and take up positions around the group. One of them speaks to Chewbacca in his own tongue, and the giant Wookiee lowers Deak onto a stretcher they have placed before him. ANTILLES (CONT'D) Which of you is young Luke? LUKEI am. This is my friend and a great starcaptain, Han Solo... His first mate is called Chewbacca. Antilles bows low before Luke. The young adventurer is embarrassed and doesn't know how to respond. Finally the ranger rises. ANTILLESWe must move swiftly, my lord. For you have arrived with all of the force of the Bogan at your heels. The Death Star has found us once again, and a deadly battle lies before us. There is little time. Hurry!
110. EXT. FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN - MASASSI OUTPOST Luke, Han, Chewbacca, the robots and Aquillian rangers ride on top of a low, gray armored transport speeder. They swing past a long line of gleaming spacefighters sitting along the edge or the vast jungle runway. The several different types of two-man fighter craft have a wide variety of markings. Several of the ships have bizarre and colorful designs painted across their large deflector fins, which transforms the crafts into huge and grotesque creatures, while others create beautiful and unique mosaic patterns. Ground crews rush about servicing the craft. Activity is at a fever pitch as Luke, Han and Antilles disembark the speeder and enter a low metal building to one side of the runway. 111. INT. MASASSI OUTPOST - WAR ROOM The war room is a mass of glass enclosures, electronic wall displays, monitors and computer stations. Officers and aides rush to and fro, ignoring Luke and Han as they follow Major Antilles to a large, dimly lit conference room dominated by a huge galactic display board. A briefing is in progress. Several dozen officers sit around a long table as a young astro-general named DODANA is describing an attack plan to the others. Antilles stops Han just outside the door as two braided guards approach them. ANTILLESYou'll have to wait here. Han gives Luke a look of betrayal and anger. LUKEI'll be back, and you'll be paid. Luke follows Antilles into the conference room and a glass door slides silently closed behind them. 112. INT. MASASSI OUTPOST - CONFERENCE ROOM Antilles and Luke sit in chairs at the back of the room. Several officers at the table glance at Luke, but for the most part their attention remains riveted on General Dodana. DODANA...and although the digital analysis doesn't confirm it, he feels there is a weak point... Several large projections of a huge, armored space station appear behind Dodana. One angle shows the north pole of the complex globe. Six black towers dominate the detailed portion of the sphere. Antilles whispers something to Luke who answers with a question. Antilles points to a dark corner of the room near Dodana. Luke strains to see something in the corner. His hand fingers his belt buckle and he turns to Antilles and nods yes. DODANA (CONT'D) ...Here, near the north pole someplace. In an area somewhere below their generating towers, he predicts you'll find a small thermal exhaust port. It is an unshielded shaft that runs directly into the reactor system. A direct hit straight into the shaft would set up a chain reaction that would destroy the Death Star. A large, sallow-eyed General named AAY ZAVOR fiddles nervously with a small hand computer. ZAVORThe greatest concentration of fire power is at the poles. I doubt a ship could get in there to find the exhaust port, let alone fire a direct hit down the shaft... A flight officer with a patch over one eye rises. FLIGHT OFFICERThere is an impossible magnetic field around those towers. Maneuverability in that sector is less than point three... The GRANDE MOUFF TARKIN, a thin, bird-like commander of the outland Kesselian Dragoons, stands, and Dodana sits down, revealing behind and to one side of him a wizened old man with long silver hair -- THE STARKILLER. He is apparently asleep; but as the Grande Mouff rises, the Starkiller's crystal-clear eyes open knowingly. An aura of power radiates from the ancient Jedi that almost knocks Tarkin over. The Starkiller is a large man, but shriveled and bent by an incalculable number of years. His face, cracked and weathered by exotic climates, is set off by a long silver beard and penetrating gray-blue eyes. Luke stares at him in awe. He's at once proud, moved and slightly frightened. TARKINWith all due respect, sir, the time has come for it to be said... There is a long pause, as most of the officers on the Grande Mouff's side of the table look down at their fidgeting hands or nervously look away. TARKIN (CONT'D) After our crushing defeat, and the destruction of Ogana Major by this Death Star...the Council has voted to trust the cybormitic analysis for future attack and planning procedures. Your contact with THE FORCE OF OTHERS is weak to the point where it can no longer be trusted. This new attack formula is contrary to the cyborg plan and depends too much on faith...a faith that deserted us at Ogana Major. Our blind, unwavering faith in you and the Ashla has led to our doom... The Starkiller sits unmoved, unresponding. Zavor jumps to his feet in great anger and despair. ZAVORYour strategy destroyed us on Ogana Major! THE FORCE OF OTHERS is no longer with us. The Bogan is too strong. This Death Star is too strong! Finally Antilles can stand it no longer. ANTILLESThe Bogan is already beginning to work on you...Will you flee like frightened children again, only to be hunted down again, until there is no place to hide. ZAVORWe were overwhelmed; his plan was hopeless as this new plan of his is hopeless... ANTILLESYou would trust a machine's logic over THE FORCE OF OTHERS? His son brings us new faith... TARKINHis son brought us the Death Star... He has betrayed us! ANTILLESHe's brought us the Kiber Crystal! The room falls silent. The bent and broken Starkiller rises and Tarkin and Zavor immediately sit down. He motions for Luke to join him at the head of the table. Luke hurries to his father's side and hands him the Kiber Crystal. The Starkiller holds up the powerful stone and it radiates a brilliant light throughout the room. Years seem to drop from the old man as the Kiber's force moves into his body. THE STARKILLERWith the Crystal, I can hold off the force of the Bogan...but when its presence is revealed, the enemy will stop at nothing to acquire it. ...You will have to win the battle or lose everything...there will be no retreat, no place to hide if the Sith gain possession of the Crystal ...finding the exhaust port is your only chance. You must have faith...THE FORCE OF OTHERS is with you. One of the younger officers stands up. OFFICERWe'll find the port. Several other officers stand, also. SECOND OFFICER I think my boys could get in there -- they can hit it. More officers and Generals join in until even Zavor and Tarkin are standing. TARKIN It will be to the finish, then. This time, victory!
113. INT. MASASSI OUTPOST - LIBRARY Luke is embraced by his father in the cool, dim quiet of the outpost electronic library. THE STARKILLERYou've done well, my son -- but I'm afraid your trial has just begun. I had hoped we would have more time, time enough for you to learn the ways of the Force. But you'll have to face the enemy as a warrior rather than a Jedi. When the Death Star is destroyed, there will be time enough for training. Artoo and Threepio enter the room and bow low before their master and his father. THE STARKILLER (CONT'D) I trust your replacement parts are satisfactory? THREEPIOMost certainly, and your kindness is greatly appreciated. I feel my capacities have doubled, and if I do say so, Artoo is a new unit. I'd hardly know him. THE STARKILLERYou have served us well, and I am releasing you from further service. You may rest and enjoy your remaining years in tranquillity... THREEPIOIf it's at all possible, sir and if it's all the same to you...no disrespect intended...we'd rather continue to serve Master Luke. THE STARKILLERThe choice is yours. Luke is truly fortunate. Now go and have them bring us this starcaptain who was so helpful to you. THREEPIOBegging your pardon, sir, but might I inquire after Master Deak? THE STARKILLERDeak is doing fine, but the Bogan is still heavy with him and it will be some time before he is himself again. Now be off with you. They bow low and leave the room. Antilles ushers Han into the office. Antilles bows low before the Starkiller and his son. Han feels quite awkward standing before the legendary galactic hero. He gives the old man a short bow, then gives Luke a slight nod. THE STARKILLER (CONT'D) You have been of great service to us. We offer you this in gratitude. Luke tells me you have a great desire for such things. He hands the young starcaptain a small box containing many neatly minted chrome bars. Han's mouth drops open in amazement. HANThis must be at least seven or eight million! THE STARKILLERI wish that I could give you more. We sorely need a man of your ability. HANI'm afraid my calling is elsewhere. Sorry, Luke, but I'm not a part of this. Luke bows his head and is clearly disappointed. He steps forward and gives Han a gray gunbelt with a chrome laser sword attached. LUKEHan, I want you to take this. It was fashioned by the _Bomerwrights of Sullest_. It is a special blade with great power that will never fail you. Take care, my friend. He gives Han a hug, and the young starcaptain leaves. THE STARKILLERNow, my son, tell me of Owen, Beru, and the twins, and of course, little Leia.
114. EXT. SPACE AROUND FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN A small silver rebel ship edges close to the pirate starship, until the two craft link up.
115. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - LOUNGE AREA Han and Chewbacca enter the starship and are greeted by Montross. Han gives him the box of chrome bars. HANEight million! Eight million and we got it legal. Can you beat that? If only Captain Oxus could see us now. He never had a haul this big! MONTROSSYou didn't stay long. Could you have tried for more? HANThat station we spotted is what destroyed Ogana Major. They're going to try to stop it. MONTROSSThen I'd better get us going. HANYeah, do that. Han has a wistful look in his eyes as Montross heads back to the cockpit. 116. INT. FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN - MASASSI OUTPOST - READY ROOM Chaos. Red scramble lights are flashing. Alert horns and attack buzzers create an unbelievable cacophony. Starpilots in a variety of different style spacesuits scramble out of the low concrete ready room, grabbing helmets and space packs as they race out the doors. 117. EXT. MASASSI OUTPOST - ATTACK RUNWAY Pilots and navigators dash in unison to a long line of waiting two-man starship fighters. Around it, crews scurry here and there loading last minute armament and unlocking power couplings. Luke, closely followed by Artoo and Threepio, meet Antilles in front of one of the sleek starships. ANTILLESThis one's ours. May THE FORCE OF OTHERS be with us. On a balcony overlooking the runway appears the dazzling figure of the Starkiller. His long silver hair and beard cascade over his flowing white robes. The Kiber Crystal glitters in his right hand. The pilots and crews stop what they are doing and bow low toward the honored Jedi. Luke and the robots join the others in the tribute. The air warriors are a wide mix of humans and other creatures from the many systems in the Alliance. THE STARKILLERYour next journey is marked by your given word. Do not falter, for there is no retreat from this battle. The power of the Bogan is strong on the Death Star. The Sith are many, but we hold the one power mightier than they: the Kiber Crystal. It is your captain and your banner. Do not fear to go where it leads. THE FORCE IS WITH YOU. The pilots and crews bow and hurry to their starships. Luke helps Threepio lift Artoo into the ship. PILOT LEADER, a rugged, handsome man in his forties, gives his ground crew the signal that he is starting his ion engine. He has a winning smile and a distinctive scar along the side of his face. His crew chief pats him on the back. CHIEFKnock them all the way back to Alderaan. The canopy is closed and the powerful starship moves onto the runway. Luke and Antilles settle into their craft as their crew looks down the armament housing. CREWMANI've got you about a thousand pounds lighter. It should help. He hangs a small good-luck charm inside the cockpit as the main canopy starts to slide closed. Luke and Antilles wave back to him. Other crewmen say goodbye to their pilots, some grinning, some kidding -- all with a great deal of hidden emotion. The din of retro-rockets cuts through the uproar, and six silver starships leave the runway and disappear into the morning cloud cover. 118. INT. MASASSI OUTPOST - WAR ROOM The Starkiller sits quietly before a giant computer display of the Yavin system. It shows the planet, moons and approaching Death Star. The Grande Mouff Tarkin stands behind the Jedi with several other Generals. TARKINThey're all away, sir. For the first time since the take-over, I feel real hope. THE STARKILLERPut their com-links through the main system. Let everyone hear it. General Dodana approaches the group and leans over to the Starkiller. DODANAThey've made contact, sir.
119. EXT. SPACE AROUND FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN A small bright speck orbiting the huge green moon of Yavin sparkles in the light of the distant sun. Six rebel star ships settle ominously into the foreground, moving swiftly toward the orbiting speck. As the starships move closer, the awesome size of the gargantuan Imperial space fortress is revealed. Explosions create blinding flashes on the planet's surface as the Imperial fortress bombards the moon with a fusillade of laser bolts.
120. INT. LEAD STARSHIP - TRAVELING Pilot Leader, in the first ship, signals to his navigator who sits in a small isolated glass bubble to the rear of the craft. The many monitors are filled with various computer read-outs and displays. Over the com-link one of the other starpilots reports to Pilot Leader. BOMA SIX(INTERCOM) Look at the size of that thing! PILOT LEADERCut off, Boma Six. Stand by. Bantha pack cover to the south. We'll try for the exhaust port. Settle in. Here we go.
121. INT. LUKE'S STARSHIP - TRAVELING Luke adjusts the controls of the tiny starfighter and lowers the sunshade on his goggles. Antilles and Threepio rotate around in the gun-pod. LUKEDoes that glare bother you? ANTILLESI've got it blocked. I'm all right. I wish they'd let us try for that exhaust port. 122. EXT. SPACE AROUND FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN - BATTLE Fuel pods are jettisoned. The starship fighters break off into a power-dive attack on the space fortress. A barrage of laser fire from the huge fortress creates a wall of death, through which most of the rebel craft miraculously emerge, undamaged. Multiple laser bolts streak from the starship fighters, creating small explosions on the complex surface of the fort. Antilles directs his fire at one of the prime power terminals. It explodes, generating weird electronic arcs that leap off the station's surface.
123. INT. IMPERIAL SPACE FORTRESS - MAIN STATION Walls buckle and cave in, sucking debris and personnel into the vacuum of space. Alarm sirens scream as soldiers scramble to large turbo-powered laser gun emplacements. Officers yell orders through the smoke and confusion. Men and robots of various shapes and sizes run to their battle stations. Standing in the middle of the chaos, a vision of calm and foreboding, is the evil Sith knight: Darth Vader. Several astro-officers run up to him, still putting on the helmets and equipment. VADERGet to your ships. I'll take the lead myself. 124. INT. FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN - MASASSI OUTPOST - WAR ROOM Generals and troops listen silently to the action of the starships over the com-link. The Starkiller seems to be asleep, but no one attempts to waken him. PILOT LEADER (V.O.) Boma One to Masassi Base, we're nearing the north pole transmitter area. The magnetic concussion is getting very rough. We're starting our run. Tighten it up. Boma Two, tighten it up. Watch those towers. BOMA TWO (CHEWIE)(V.O.) Heavy fire, Boss. Twenty-three degrees. PILOT LEADER (V.O.) I see it. Pull in. Pull in. We're picking up some interference. BOMA SIX (V.O.) Wow, I've never seen such fire power. PILOT LEADER (V.O.) Pull in, Boma Two. Pull in. Chewie, do you read me? Chewie? BOMA TWO (V.O.) I'm all right, Boss. I've got a target. I'm going in to check it out. BOMA SIX (V.O.) There is too much action, Chewie. Get out! PILOT LEADER (V.O.) Break off, Chewie. Acknowledge. We've hit too much interference. Boma Six, can you see Boma Two? The Starkiller's eyes open as the tension mounts. He has not been asleep. BOMA SIX (V.O.) I've lost him. There's a heavy fire zone on this side. My scanner's jammed. BOMA FIVE (V.O.) He's gone. No, wait. There he is. Fin damage, but he's all right. A sigh of relief sweeps across the war room. The computers flash off and then on again as the whole room shakes under the Death Star's bombardment of a nearby ridge. DEVIL FOUR (V.O.) Watch your back, Boss. Watch your back! A TIE squad above you, coming in -- about six ships. 125. EXT. SPACE AROUND FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN - BATTLE - REBEL FIGHTERS (BOMA GROUP) Six fin winged Imperial fighters dive on Pilot Leader, but he does a quick spiral turn and eludes them. BOMA TWO (CHEWIE)(V.O.) I found the exhaust port, Boss. Relay target six degrees south by three mark two. It's not very big -- a direct hit is going to be tough. PILOT LEADERI copy, Boma Two, but we have other problems right now. Pilot Leader and Boma Four dive in unison through a forest of radar domes, antennae and gun towers. They are followed by four Imperial TIE fighters. The two rebel ships make a sharp turn and come around behind the Imperial ships. Boma Four and Pilot Leader fire into the TIE fighters as the six ships criss-cross the surface of the fortress. Suddenly, a dense barrage of laser fire erupts from a protruding tower, catching Boma Four broadside. The rebel spacecraft bursts into a million flaming pieces. Pilot Leader reacts to the loss of his wing man with a renewed attack on the Imperial ships -- one of which falls away and hits a prime power terminal, creating an arching spectacle. A chain reaction is set off, creating a series of explosions leaping across the surface of the fortress from terminal to terminal.
126. INT. LUKE'S STARSHIP - TRAVELING Luke and three other speedy little fighters dart back and forth across the soft underbelly of the fortress, leaving a trail of destruction behind them. Artoo is sitting on the seat-back above Threepio's shoulders. He is beeping and whistling frantically. Threepio swings his gun pod around and begins firing at an approaching Imperial TIE ship. THREEPIOI see it. I see it. Don't confuse me, or we'll be killed. See those? They break up in little pieces, just like a GS unit under pressure. ANTILLESLuke, TIE fighters below us. LUKEI see them. Hang on! The rebel craft dives on the Imperial ships, all guns blasting away. Two of the TIE craft go down in flames. 127. INT. IMPERIAL SPACE FORTRESS - MAIN CONTROL CENTER Constant explosions rock the interior of the fortress. Troops scurry for safety in the panic-ridden control center. A Sith knight speaks to Lord Vader on the com-link. SITH KNIGHTYes, my Lord, the Ashla Force is strong upon us. I can't hold the panic. How could it be? VADERI feel the influence of the Kiber Crystal. Perhaps the Starkiller is still alive. They must have brought it out of hiding at last. We must strain -- counter the force. Their attack is organized; they're going for the poles. Concentrate there.
128. EXT. REBEL STARSHIPS - BATTLE Boma Two (Chewie), a young hot-shot of about sixteen years, miraculously dives his ship through a virtual sea of laser fire and blasts the Imperial fighters into dust. Chewie signals to his navigator, who lets out a whooping cheer as the craft veers into a victory roll. PILOT LEADERGreat moves, Chewie. Regroup at point two-four. Let's go in for that exhaust port. Coincide, Boma Six. Boma Five and Boma Three bob and weave in formation toward a group of giant towers at the north pole. PILOT LEADER (CONT'D) I see it. It looks good. BOMA THREEI've got it. We're hit! We're hit! PILOT LEADEREject...Eject. Boma Three, do you read? BOMA THREEI'm all right. I can hold it. Give me a little room, Boma Five. Watch it! Watch it! Boma Three wobbles a little, then drops away sharply, plowing into a huge laser gun emplacement, causing a hideous series of chain reaction explosions. The four remaining starships of the Boma group fly in a tight formation and dive between the tall towers near the exhaust port. PILOT LEADERMasassi Base, we're in position and starting for the target. Chewie, hold your fire until we're within point zero five four. Make it count. Several ack-ack lasers begin to open fire on the approaching spacecraft. The rebel ships direct their fire at a small, glowing blue hole at the base of one of the towers. Boma Five explodes, quickly followed by Boma Four. BOMA TWO (CHEWIE) I'm on it. Boma Two dives directly at the small target, is unable to pull out and crashes into the base of one of the towers. Pilot Leader dives between the towers, firing away, but is unable to hit the small hole. PILOT LEADERIt's too small. It's impossible. All ships hit. Send in Bantha group. I'll try to make it. One of the two large engines on Pilot Leader's fighter explodes. He careens wildly, leaving an erratic trail of smoke before eventually crashing into a solar panel.
129. INT. FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN - MASASSI OUTPOST - WAR ROOM On the large computer display board, several of the markers indicating rebel fighters go dark. General Dodana approaches the Starkiller in a hurry. DODONAEighty-five percent of our craft have been destroyed. The probability projection shows little hope. Retreat is possible at this time, but not for long. Zavor steps forward in a panic. ZAVORIt's just like Ogana Major. Twice we have listened to this old man, and twice it has led to our ruin. We must surrender before we're all destroyed, while there is still time. The Starkiller gives Zavor a hard look and the cowardly General shakes as if a cold wind had chilled him to his heart. THE STARKILLERThere will be no surrender. There will be no retreat. This was settled. The force is still with us. The General's eyes turn back to the big board as two more symbols disappear. The four that are left are flying in formation toward the north pole exhaust port. DODONAThere are only four left. 130. EXT. LUKE'S STARSHIP - BATTLE Luke swings the small craft around the many outcroppings of laser towers and transmitters. LUKEWe'll follow you in Banta One. BANTA ONEShip response through here is gone. Don't try anything fancy. LUKEAntilles, Threepio, as soon as you've got the target, open up. The fortress gun emplacements fire away, hitting Banta Three. It disintegrates, leaving a trail of flaming particles. The three remaining craft continue the assault. Luke and Antilles watch the remains of Banta Three disappear. BANTA ONEThis is it. Make it count. The rebel craft blast away at the exhaust port, but all miss. THREEPIOSir, I think if you pitched the ship about twelve degrees on the final approach, we could clear the port rim. It seems to be diagonal, which is why we're off target. ANTILLESI think you're right. Luke, tell Banta One when we make our next pass. LUKEBanta One, this is Banta Two...
131. EXT. IMPERIAL SPACE FORTRESS Lord Vader and two other Imperial ships wait for the rebel craft to emerge from the smoke and confusion of the exhaust port area. VADER We'll take what's left when they start their second run. Prepare the scan ships for low altitude survey. The Kiber Crystal will be ours if it's still down there. Stand by...Here they come.
132. EXT. BATTLE The three rebel starships bank and prepare for a second attack on the exhaust port. Suddenly, streaking down from above them, the Imperial TIE craft blaze away with all their laser cannons. Banta Four instantly bursts into flames, then disintegrates. Banta One's tail section is hit, and the ship pinwheels toward the planet. Blood covers Antilles' face. Luke struggles to keep control of the ship. Artoo is whistling wildly as Threepio swings the gun turret around to fire at the enemy craft. LUKEAntilles! ANTILLESThe turret's shattered. But both hatches are sealed. I can hold out. Just get us back down there. LUKEWell, it looks like we're it. The tiny rebel fighter dives toward the exhaust port, but is cut off and forced to turn away from Vader's ship. VADERThis is the last one. Here's where the rebellion ends. The three Imperial craft dive on the lone rebel starfighter. Laser bolts streak past the small craft on all sides. Vader moves close in behind Luke's ship. THREEPIOWhere did he go? I can't see him. ANTILLESHe's back there somewhere. Luke, bank a little...See him now? Vader signals his wing men to back off. VADERI've got him. Return to base. Suddenly, Vader's wing man explodes into a shower of burning fragments. Vader is surprised and looks around for the cause of his wing man's misfortune. VADER (CONT'D) SR-2, do you see anything? What did he hit? Before SR-2 can answer, he too is blasted out of orbit. Vader quickly veers off and takes defensive maneuvers. Above and behind the Imperial fighters the old familiar pirate starship descends into view.
133. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT - TRAVELING Han grins at Montross and speaks into the com-link. HANI heard you were having some problems, Banta Two. LUKE (V.O.) I don't know what brought you back, but I'm sure glad you're here. HANI'll cover you. If you're going in there after something, you'd better get going.
134. EXT. BATTLE Luke dives the tiny ship once again into the wall of laser fire around the exhaust port. The pirate ship follows a short distance behind, but begins to bounce about as it nears the generating tower. MONTROSSThere is a terrible magnetic crossfield down here. This thing's too big. We'll never make it. LUKEHold tight. We're almost there. Vader's starship swoops down on the battered pirate ship, unleashing a heavy barrage of laser bolts. Chewbacca in the rear gun turret blazes away at the Sith starship. One of Vader's huge solar fins breaks up, but the Black Knight manages to keep the disabled craft on course and crash dives into the pirate craft, exploding on impact. HANWe're hit. You're on your own, Luke.
135. INT. PIRATE STARSHIP Han and Montross work their way through the damaged ship, looking for a usable life pod. Chewbacca appears at the end of a hallway and yells at Han to follow him. 136. INT. LUKE'S STARSHIP Luke dives past the towers and approaches the exhaust port. LUKEI'm starting the bank. Let her have it. The ship skims the surface of the Death Star, blasting a thin path across its surface. As they pass the exhaust port, both Threepio and Antilles get several shots directly down the exhaust shaft. THREEPIOWe hit it. We hit it; perfect, if I do say so myself. ANTILLESPull out of here, Luke. 137. EXT. BATTLE The small craft veers sharply away from the Death Star as ominous rumbles and explosions can be heard coming from within the huge super fortress. The rebel ship speeds past the small lifepod from the pirate ship as it slowly drifts toward the green calm of Yavin's Fourth Moon. Han, Montross and the furry Chewbacca watch the ominous fortress grow smaller as they drift further and further away. Suddenly, a great flash replaces the fortress and rubble streaks past the lifepod and lone rebel starship. Several giant explosions follow, until there is only a smoke cloud where the mighty fortress once orbited Yavin's Fourth Moon.
DISSOLVE TO: 138. EXT. FOURTH MOON OF YAVIN - MASASSI OUTPOST Luke climbs out of the starship as a ground crew help the wounded Antilles from the shattered gun turret. Artoo is helped down by Threepio. Antilles gives Luke a big grin. Luke slaps Threepio on the back. He then spots Han, Montross and Chewbacca riding up in a transport speeder. Luke runs up and hugs the Corellian pirates. They all laugh and cheer. The white-robed Starkiller approaches the group, followed by a hundred aides, troops, ground crews, and Generals. Antilles and the robots join Han, Luke and the others. As the Starkiller approaches, they all bow low, including Chewbacca and the robots. THE STARKILLERYour achievement will be sung through the ages. The Kiber Crystal has stopped the onslaught of the Bogan forces so that brave warriors can once again show their merit...The revolution has begun. A ROLL-UP TITLE appears: ...And a thousand new systems joined the rebellion, causing a significant crack in the great wall of the powerful Galactic Empire. The Starkiller would once again spark fear in the hearts of the Sith knights, but not before his sons were put to many tests...the most daring of which was the kidnapping of the Lars family, and the perilous search for: "The Princess of Ondos." FADE OUT: END CREDITS. THE END